Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is Chemo hormon antineopl sq/im and how is administered

Customer Question
to a patient ?...
What is Chemo hormon antineopl sq/im and how is administered to a patient ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
Expert: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 5 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

chemo is short for chemotherapy which are drugs used to fight cancer

hormon: I assume is short for hormone therapy which is also used to fight certain hormone sensitive cancers such as breast cancer or prostate cancer

antineopl: is short for antineoplastic which means anti cancer.

sq/im is probably how the chemotherapy was dosed. chemotherapy is often dosed as milligrams per meter squared. the meters squared is the body surface area, which is sort of a rough estimate for body mass and metabolism.

if you have already tried lupron, I assume you have prostate cancer.

is the lupron still working.

I need to know how the chemo is administered in an office setting if it is by injection or

some other ways ?

chemotherapy is administered in a medical oncology office, ordered by a medical oncologist chemotherapy doctor and physically administered into a vein by a chemotherapy nurse. chemotherapy is given by intravenous needles into your veins along with fluids over a period of time, so it is not just a shot. it is often given in an office setting. you do not have to go into the hospital usually to receive chemotherapy.

Is lupron given in a doctors' office considered a chemo treatment ? ie Chemo hormon

antineopl sq/im .

lupron is not considered a chemotherapy treatment

lupron is considered hormone therapy.

lupron is a depot long acting injection which tricks the pituitary to tell the testicles to stop making testosterone. in the olden days before lupron, the testicles would just be removed.

a nurse can give the lupron injection, usually into the buttock muscle.

let me know if you have other questions

if done, please click accept and leave + feedback

you can always reach me as Dr. David

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician