Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have had muscles twitching on the left side of the back of

I have had muscles twitching on the left side of the back of my head and some pain for several days now. It started with an ache in my left shoulder that I awoke with about four or five days ago. The pain moved up into my neck and then into my head where it has remained. The twitching and pain is not constant, but persistent.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
This is most likely to be due to a muscle spasm.

Muscle spasm will cause these symptoms. It will cause pain along with muscle twitching.

Treatment is with warm compresses and stretching exercises: apply warm compresses with a warm towel.

Also do regular stretching exercises of the neck.

Do these neck stretching ROM exercises:

Neck Flexion (Chin to Chest) - Slowly begin to lower you neck down by lower your chin down to your check and hold for 10-15 seconds.

Neck Extension (Lean your head back) - Lower your head back as far as you can.

Right Lateral Flexion (Ear to Shoulder) - Lower your right ear towards your right shoulder.

Left Lateral Flexion (Ear to Shoulder) - Lower your left ear towards your left shoulder.

Right Rotation (Chin to Shoulder) - Slowly turn your head to the right. Your chin with be close to your right shoulder.

Left Rotation (Chin to Shoulder) - Slowly turn your head to the left. Your chin with be close to your left shoulder.

( source)

Take care - warm compresses with neck stretching exercises will give relief - if it persists show your doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask further questions if you need more info.
With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But why has this discomfort moved up into my head and stayed for several days? I am a teacher and have neck pain often, but this has never happened before. I also feel light headed.
If it is associated with lightness of the head, the other thing that is possible is spondylosis - this can cause pain in this region and can also cause dizziness / lightheadedness.

These exercises also work for cervical spondylosis.

If you do not get relief with them, see a doctor for this.

Good luck.

With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.