Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

Im having a fever, aches and lower abdominal pain expelling

Customer Question

Im having a fever, aches and lower abdominal pain expelling mucousy stool intermittetly painful gas with painful gas and cramps for 2 1/2 days. Is this something viral?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
hello,
Do you have any upper complaints?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no upper problems.
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no diarrhea . stools are small and soft the size of 1/2 of pinky finger.I am very healthy and have been a registered nurse for 20 years,I am puzzled.
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
This sounds like an episode of diverticulosis which can cause spasm of the bowel, mucus and painful gas and bloating. If you have tenderness when you press in one spot you may have an infection or diverticulitis. If so this would require antibiotics. If not try to take high fiber, high bulk diet to give the stool more form and continue on otherwise bland diet.
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My diet is very high in fiber.I eat only whole grain bread,lots of beans ,4 to 5 fruits or vegetables a day,stone ground oatmeal and blueberries , almonds or wanuts and a weight watcher or lean cuisine meal 3 or 4 times a week.I usually have a good sized bm after breakfast daily .Hard to believe it could be diverticulosis.In addition I drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily and my good cholesterol level is 94 bad is 247.I am 5' 7 " and weigh 152 lbs.I had diverticulosis 20 years ago but pain was in my LUQ and went away with Cipro.This pain is is my sigmoid colon.Could it be just a virus? I hate to pay for a Doctor if I don't have to, especially since I just paid for your advise

Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
It is possible but with mucus and no diarrhea, more likely to be diverticulosis with spasm. If no tenderness when you press it is not diverticulitis and should pass on its own.