Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have high liver counts AST/SGOT over 100 ALT over 400. He

I have high liver counts AST/SGOT over 100 ALT over 400. He test results came back negative for hepatitis. I'm seeing a liver specialist tomorrow. What should I ask him/her?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
The most important aspect of the initial evaluation is to try to determine the cause of the elevated liver enzymes. Common causes include a variety of different forms of hepatitis, although you have been tested for the common forms, alcohol, fatty infiltration of the liver, medications affecting the liver, autoimmune inflammation of the liver, hemochromatosis, or metabolic diseases. Many people with elevated liver enzymes will have spontaneous improvement while undergoing the evaluation, probably because of a non-specific viral infection that has resolved. It is important that you inform the doctor of any associated symptoms that may be present and any use of alcohol, medicines, or recreational drugs. After a history and physical examination is completed, it would be appropriate to ask what are the findings and initial impression from the physical, what further testing will be done, including any risks associated with the evaluation, and what, if any interventions should be performed. In many cases, the patient is recommended to avoid any substances that potentially will adversely affect the liver, such as alcohol and acetaminophen.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you....I'm in great health. I exercise, I don't drink nor smoke. I eat really well (only eat fish) and I'm pretty much a vegetarian. No drugs ever...I only have one woman in my life.
It certainly sounds like you have been taking good care of yourself. Obviously, if you don't drink alcohol, take medicines, or use other drugs, that would not contribute to the problem. The other possibilities would still need to be considered.