How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 55449
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having a lot of discomfort in my lower abdomen, heaviness

Customer Question

I am having a lot of discomfort in my lower abdomen, heaviness feeling in that area. I'll have bouts for about a week at a time, then it will go away for a few days, then return. I am a female, 57, excellent health, no meds. This seems to be the only symptom. I first noticed the feeling several months ago, just a twinge of discomfort, but it has gotten gradually worse and more frequent. I don't notice that anything I eat in particular brings this on, I don't feel an urgency to use the bathroom, am not constipated. As I write this right now, I feel okay, but that's the pattern. It comes and goes--
I don't have a family physician, had a physical last year, everything normal.
Am not sure what type of physician to try to get in to see about this issue--am not a doctor type person, thank you for any help you can offer online--
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Have you had any deliveries vaginally?

Do you have any urinary or rectal incontinence problems?

Do you still have an uterus?

How long have you been in menopause?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have delivered two children, I have what I consider mild incontinence problems, yes I stil have my uterus, have been post menapausal about 7 years--

I didn't mention in my original request, sometimes I do have very lower back pains,nothing major, I am overweight and have attributed that to the back aches. Nothing debilatating, just uncomfortable at times--

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

What is your height and weight?

And, this is more in your lower pelvis?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 5'6", weigh 205lbs, the discomfort is in the area just below my navel-
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

This could be difficult at time to figure out what is going on, but you could have what is known as POP _ Pelvic organ prolapse which is your organs pushing into your vagina and causing pressure and all your other symptoms - this can be due to Weight and also being in menopause since you no longer have the support structures in your body due to your body not having the support of estrogen and the weight also causes atrophy too of the ligaments.

So, I would recommend a pelvic exam by an ob/gyn and you might benefit from a hysterectomy.

You might also have an umbilical hernia too that should be evaluated.

I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I briefly researched POP, didn't seem to quite fit what I am experiencing, I have no vaginal discomfort, could these symptoms be related to anything to do with my colon?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Answer didn't fit all symptoms I am experiencing
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.


Yes, this could be related to the colon.


You said you have mild incontinence. What are the bowel movements like?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Soft, not runny, 3-4 times a day, no constipation--

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.

Is this new?


Have your bowels only been like this since the pain started?


Also, when was the last colonoscopy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Never really had an issue, but yes, they are softer more frequently now than they used to be--have not had a colonoscopy--
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.

Okay, this could be diverticulosis or diverticulitis or something more serious in the bowel like inflammatory bowel disease or irritable bowel even.


I think you clearly need to see a GI doctor and have a scope done.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I realize doctors what us to have those tests, I'll consider it--

Thank you for your effort in trying to help online--I know that must be a difficult task, but I was willing to try anything before having to go see a doctor--I've just never found one I trust or am comfortable with--all I have been to or hear about from friends or relatives just want to treat symptoms with meds, not find the cure/cause-thank you, again-

This is a nice service--

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.Thanks for the kind wordsDont forget to accept. :)