Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

My wife has had a gastic band fitted for over 5 years now,

Customer Question

My wife has had a gastic band fitted for over 5 years now, every so often she starts to shake and loses all her strength, gets shakes and is very cold even though she is burning a temperature. she never holds any food down and is always sick after the smallest amount of anything. she has lost over 6 stone in weight
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Although your wife has lost a good amount of weight with the gastric band it sounds like it is now causing her symptoms of possible low blood sugar and her pouch may be too small and not allowing enough food to pass into the stomach. She also may be eating too large quantities which is just a possibility. The advantage of gastric banding is that it is adjustable. She needs to see the surgeon who did the original procedure will probably order a barium x-ray to determine if the pouch needs to the enlarged and adjusted properly which can be done fairly easily. Although I am sure she has been instructed to make certain that she eats small amounts several times a day and foods that are relatively high in protein rather than high carbohydrates which may cause her blood sugar to react and give her the symptoms that you described.
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she eats very little and only drinks water, she is fine most days but some days she looks as if her body has went into shock
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
She needs to have the band evaluated.