Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

i am still waiting for my answer on diverticulosis

Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
What is the question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my question that diverticulosis in the sigmoid colon. what are the symptoms, remedys 9what is it) etc
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Diverticulosis is a very common problem as one becomes older. At your age approximately 60% of people will have diverticulosis. these are small pouches or pockets in the large Bowel. In most people diverticulosis remains without symptoms. However they may on occasion cause bleeding and there may be associated spasm that can cause abdominal discomfort. Diverticulosis occurs because of the contractions of the muscles in the large bowel. if one of these pockets becomes infected this is now called diverticulitis. Itis means inflammation or infection. Once this occurs a patient will have tenderness in that area usually a change in bowel habits and may have a slight temperature. When diverticulitis occurs and there is tenderness than that will require antibiotic treatment. Most often oral antibiotics will suffice however on occasion the patient may need intravenous antibiotics if the infection is severe. On rare occasions the antibiotics will not work and an abscess may develop which would require surgery. If you do not have diverticulitis then you should be encouraged to eat a high fiber, high bulk diet to reduce the spasm. If you have diverticulitis than you need to eat a low residue low fiber diet until the infection clears.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.