Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

My pinky finger is swollen. it has been like this for some

my pinky finger is swollen. it has been like this for some weeks now. went i massage it it hurts.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 5 years ago.
Did you injure it?
Is it red and inflamed?
Are the joints red and inflamed or is the whole finger swollen?
Has the swelling increased since it first started?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No i did not injure it
it is slightly redder and inflamed than the other fingers
the whole finger is swollen
no the swelling has remained the same
the swelling is also firm to the touch
The commonest cause for the whole pinky finger to be swollen and red is dislocation of the metacarpophalangeal joint - this is the joint which connects the finger to the hand. Dislocation may occur if the finger is bent backwards suddenly and you may not be aware of the injury at that time. But pain and swelling will gradually become more noticeable in about 2-3 days.
Other causes could be tendonitis or hairline fractures..
Arthritis can cause swelling of only the joints , not the whole finger.
Please consult your doctor for an xray. Meanwhile ice the finger and rest it by tying it the the next finger so that the pinky finger cannot move or bend alone. You can also take Ibuprofen 200mg thrice daily to decrease the inflammation and pain.
I hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
upon further investigation i have observed that it is the middle section of the finger that is swollen, whilst the lower section and the upper section in particular the upper section is also inflamed like the middle section while the lower section feels and appears to be ok
Then you have got arthritis. Taking anti-inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen will help decrease the inflammation. Also rest and ice the finger .
But getting a checkup by your doctor will help confirm the diagnosis.
I hope this helps.