Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had a low grade fever with chills for over a month,

Customer Question
swollen gland(s) on one side...
I have had a low grade fever with chills for over a month, swollen gland(s) on one side of my upper neck, below the ear, just at the jaw line, pain in this area as well as pain in the cheek bone area. I also have been suffering with an almost constant headache on the same side as the swollen gland which has recently become very intense, enough to interfere with sleep and work. I have already been through a cycle of augmentin with no relief and am now on clindamycin, no relief in site. My blood test shows eosinophil 5.2, eos 0.6, gran 7.3. My Dr asked if I ever had the mumps, I answered no, but I have had the MMR twice. He mentioned a film in the back of my mouth on my gums. I have no unusual taste. I get a tingling sensation on both sides of my jaw line on most occasions. I have little energy and when exerting any bit of energy, I get very hot immediately and even sweat a significant amount at work. I am a nurse who does some physical work, same as my co-workers, but they do not get hot or sweat as I am, in fact some complain of how cold the unit can get. My neck muscles on the same side have been abnormally sore for several days, approximately 4. I try to massage my neck but it only seems to cause pain, very much different from when I self massage my neck and shoulders for release of tension. Please help shed some light on what may be going on. I am so tempted to go to the emergency room, but afraid of going for nothing but a huge bill. Thank you!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
1/20/2012
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Thanks for your question.
Any CT scan done for to see your sinuses?
Do you get nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, phlegm, cough, throat irritation?
Regards
A CT scan is scheduled to check the gland but is not for 5 days from now. How likely is this could be meningitis, viral or bacterial?

Thanks for your input.

So far with your symptoms this is most likely to be a sinus infection. Mostly these infections are viral and can become superadded by the bacterial infection too. Sweating can be seen in such viral infections. The swollen glands are due to drainage of the infection. Headache is one of the most common symptom of such infections.

You got antibiotic twice but no response , this means that either your antibiotics were not sensitive to bacteria involved or this is still ongoing viral infection. However viral infections can lasts two weeks but can linger on. On the other hand bacterial infections in these areas can be with low grade fever.

The tingling in jaw line is because of the inflammation of these nerves due to infection.

Meningitis is not likely at all with these symptoms and with this history.

Similarly diseases like cancers are not likely because of association of pain with the glands. The glands in cancer are not painful.

So CT is the right move and you need it for sure, rest of the treatment will be accordingly. If you have not tried aleve then take it twice daily. Its best far among over the counter pain killers.

Drink lot of water.

You may need a short course of prednisone, its best to see ENT surgeon for this.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon.

I hope this helps you.

Please ask for any query

please click accept if i have answered your question

regards

DR Hasan

I am so sorry, I have forgotten to add that I was scoped by my ENT and a culture confirmed no infection to the sinuses. He did mention my larynx was red and irritated but suggested it was from the flu I had in the previous weeks. Thank you for suggesting increased fluids and aleve, both of which I have tried with no success. I wondered about the injections too and if they would help. I am still confused of the increasing intensity of my headaches, sigh.
Thanks for your input.
If this is so then CT scan needs to guide your doctor further but as per history this is meningitis.
This is an infection for sure because of the painful glands.
I suggest that a short course of prednisone should be considered.
Please ask for any query
Please remember to click accept to compensate me for my time and effort here for you.
Regards
Please, just to clarify...yes it is meningitis? I do promise to accept, but feel the need now to question if 5 days is a great deal of time to wait for the scan if now you say it is meningitis. Please understand I have not "accepted answer" because I am unsure if I can continue with the conversation after or if I will be given to another physician for another charge. I do appreciate your expertise and help.
Thanks for your input.
I can understand your stress.
Its not meningitis in my opinion because meningitis is not accompanied by the other symptoms you are having like swollen gland, pain in the jaws, cheek bone etc. So as per history this is not meningitis.
Meningitis doesnot follow this much long course. Neck muscles get stiff in meningitis but this has to be in whole neck and not just one side. Projectile vomiting is seen in meningitis which donot have
You can safely wait for five days.
If you accept you will not be charged extra and you can always come back on this page for a follow up and donot need to repay.
Donot worry i will be here to help even if you accept this time and next time you will not be charged.
Please ask for any query
Regards
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Thank you!
YOu are always welcome
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor