Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I'm a type 1 diabetic and am coming down with a stomach flu.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and am coming down with a stomach flu. Diarrhea, nausea. I took 9 units of insulin and had dinner about an hour ago, but I'm not digesting anything and my blood sugar is now down to 59. I'm sucking on glucose tablets, not sure if that will help. Have glucagon ready in case it gets lower. Anything else I can do?
Hello,You have a typical viral gastroenteritis complicated by the fact you are a type I diabetic. The fact that you are not vomiting is a positive but you must stay hydrated and counterbalance the fluid loss from your diarrhea. In addition to taking glucose tablets try to take a sports drink such as Gatorade which will contain electrolytes and sugars that you need.. Do this in addition to taking Imodium AD to slow down the diarrhea. Usually this will last for 48 to 72 hours and on occasion may last longer . the important thing is to stay hydrated and in addition in your case to attempt to keep your sugar within and normal range. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm having dry heaves (the effects of diabetes seem to make it hard for my stomach valve to work properly. I might eventually empty my stomach contents, maybe not. My wife just brought me some Gatorade and anti-nausea liquid. Should I try at all costs to keep my dinner down? Will some of it eventually be digested? I'm much more worried about the hypoglycemia now than the potential dehydration ...
As long as you are having the dry heaves do not try to eat a normal dinner. As I mentioned take the Gatorade which will provide you with adequate sugar and fluids. If you are able take only clear liquids. Those are foods you can see through such as apple juice chicken broth and a very useful supplement is the juice from canned fruits. This will go easy on your stomach and hopefully allow you to maintain what you have ingested without vomiting it back up. Your main concerns are fluid and electrolytes and blood glucose. Do not be concerned about eating a regular meal. as soon as the dry heaves stop you can then advance your diet. If you continue this way and are unable to keep anything down and you must visit the emergency room to have appropriate fluid and electrolytes administered by vein. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.