Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I had a slightly abnormal HIDA scan (39 - below 40 but above

I had a slightly abnormal HIDA scan (39 - below 40 but above 35 and a slight increase in pain during the procedure). I have some symptoms of gallbladder problems: pain in upper right sider of torso near and just under leading edge of ribcage. The rest of me seems to be working OK. I am not obese nor overweight and eat almost no junk food and eat a balanced diet. My surgeon is recommending surgery to remove the gallbladder. Are there any reasonable alternatives. My ultrasound showed no gallstones. Thank you for any information you can give me.
Hello,With the symptoms you described and the HIDA scan findings you do most likely have gallbladder disease. I will assume that your liver function test were normal. The HIDA scan is specifically used when gallbladder disease is suspected but there are no evident stones on ultrasound. Unfortunately there is no alternative to cholecystectomy. Preferably this will be done laparoscopically and your surgeon will have adequate experience with the procedure. The post surgical stay and recuperation is very short. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I knew some of this information but there is no button to check other than "I know this information." I appreciate your help on this and am not trying to seem flippant. My concern, which you addressed, was about an alternative to surgery. I traveled extensively in China for the past three years and am wondering about the possibility of a parasite. I ate local food with the local Chinese so that's why I am wondering. I will check to see if I had a liver function test. Could you please comment on the parasite issue and what the liver function test is. I appreciate your help on this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I should have told you that I am 74.5 inches tall and weigh 180 lbs and exercise occasionally but walk a lot.
I am sure some of this was not new. There is no other cure than surgery. There are parasites that can affect the liver but these usually would should in ultrasound or liver blood tests. I am not aware of a parasite that would give these symptoms and HIDA findings. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.