Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have been having pain on right side for years after having

I have been having pain on right side for years after having gall bladder surgery in 2006 .the pain was serve enough i went to er they ran blood test with no answer to the pain.what could cause pain in the liver area .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
good morning,
If your gallbladder is out and your liver function tests are normal there are one or 2 things that come to mind. Your doctor may wish to get an ultrasound to make certain there is no cyst in the liver which can cause pain but may not cause of abnormal blood test. Also the end of the stomach is the duodenum can present in the area described and an inflammation can give pain. You might want to try Prilosec OTC as directed to see if that helps you. Also a retained stone or recurrent stone in the common bile duct can give pain intermittently. Usually there may be intermittent abnormal liver tests but that may not always occur. Finally the large bowel is present in the right upper quadrant and if you have not had a colonoscopy that may be a consideration to discuss with your Dr.
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can having nodes on your liver cause pain also .when they removed my gall bladder they discovered nodes on both sides of my liver that were large.what causes nodes on liver.

Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
The liver can have cysts which are usually small and do not give symptoms. Occasionally they can be large and cause pain. Nodes refer to lymph nodes which can be enlarged due to infection or another condition. If they were abnormally large or Dr. would have taken a sample. ask for an ultrasound or better yet a CAT scan to exclude any abnormality.