Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Alright, I have gone for an edscopy, ultrasound, and nothing

Customer Question
showed up. I am now...
Alright, I have gone for an edscopy, ultrasound, and nothing showed up. I am now having severe all around gassy stomach cramps with diareah. so much so that it has woken me from my sleep. The main pain is still in the upper right abdomen. All day yesterday, after each meal, i felt constipated, then gassy, then dioreah. One movement was not dioreah and was relativly solid, but almost white in color..
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2012
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 6 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Do you still have a gallbaldder?
Even the the ultrasnd and the possible lab tests might be normal - you probably have a probably with your gallbladder. And, it would be recommended to do a Laparoscopic cholecystetomy - but before that, get evaluated for H. pylori - an infection of the stomach that can cause this too.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
1. Last Friday I had terrible stomach constipation pain, and took laxitives, that relieved that problem.

2. I have felt weak since then. Each day has started out the same. Wake up feeling refreshed, and then around noon-2 I get tired, and I get cloudy in my head. I then have been having chest muscle pains, and a slightly small cough. It is driving me crazy because I can not make it thru a day with out feeling this way. I still also have the upper right abdominal pain.

Please share your thoughts
Relist: Answer came too late.
Doctor: Internist, Board Certified Physician replied 6 years ago
Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Diarrhea alternating with constipation is classic symptom of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Irritable bowel syndrome was at one time considered to be a diagnosis of exclusion but now there are definite criteria to make this diagnosis that I will give you. With IBS you need to make sure no other serous diseases are present. Some serious diseases may present with bleeding or weight loss, nocturnal symptoms or fecal soiliage. This means you may need to have tests such as colonoscopy, possibly biopsy, barium X-Rays and stool analysis for infection to rule out other diseases such as celiac sprue, colitis, infection, or tumor. With IBS no physical abnormalities are found. This is why it is called a functional disease.

Once these tests are done, and they are up to the your doctor's discretion, this diagnosis is made. If your symptoms are very suggestive of IBS your doctor may not want to perform every test. A very helpful test you can take yourself online is http://www.ibsjennifer.com

You may have IBS-diarrhea predominant, constipation predominant or mixed symptom IBS. All types are accompanied by discomfort in the abdomen.

Probiotics, good bacteria, such as Activia may be helpful in both types.

There is no scientific evidence to support alternative medicine options.

Some foods may make symptoms worse and you must exclude those that have a bad effect. Some examples are beans, cabbage, broccoli, carbonated beverages and dairy products. Small frequent meals instead of three large meals may help. For gas and bloating, OTC meds containing simethicone (

Gas-X Mylicon) may help.

There is some very recent research that some foods may cause symptoms. Cut and paste the following article from the Wall St. Journal about the FOBmaps diet:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204554204577023880581820726.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.

Please share your thoughts
See above answer I just gave.

have felt weak since then. Each day has started out the same. Wake up feeling refreshed, and then around noon-2 I get tired, and I get cloudy in my head. I then have been having chest muscle pains, and a slightly small cough. It is driving me crazy because I can not make it thru a day with out feeling this way. I still also have the upper right abdominal pain.

I have had no diorreah since last Friday... That is fine. I am more concerned about the above.
That is not consistent all with IBS. You have a respiratory problem that needs to be evaluated.

Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Internist
Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician