Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I got a pcr dna test for hiv 9 days after possible exposure

I got a pcr dna test for hiv 9 days after possible exposure and it came back negitive is this accurate and realible ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.
Well PCR DNA test will detect the virus at about 2 to 3 weeks.
Even then, there is a less than 1 percent chance of a false negative.
While antibody test may take up to several months to become positive, the PCR becomes positive earlier- usually by a few weeks to 1 month, although not always.
I would still advise that you be retested at 3 month to confirm that you remain negative.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that did not answer my question ? is a negative result pcr dna test 9 days after exposure accurate.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 years ago.
Well as such negative result of PCR DNA test for HIV 9 days after exposure is not 100% accurate.
And there is possibility of false negative.
And it is so early to detect HIV 9 days after exposure.
Usually the accuracy of PCR DNA is more reliable at 3 weeks.
So it is advised to either undergo repeat PCR DNA test after 3 weeks or standard antibody tests after 3 month to confirm that you remain negative.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My clinic told me the falsae negative result is only if you get tested 1-5 days after exposure at the 9 day mark they said you could get a false positive. i tested negitive after 9 days and they assured me i am hiv free?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 years ago.
PCR DNA testing is not so reliable in diagnosing HIV; the HIV antibody test is still the preferred method of choice for this.
Viral load testing done by the PCR method is incredibly sensitive, which can give rise to false results.

So it is advised to undergo standard antibody tests after 3 month to confirm that you remain negative.