Dr. James
Dr. James, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
20222826

I had a blood vessel in the of my eye to start bleeding

I had a blood vessel in the white of my eye to start bleeding (just above my iris). I am a diabetic. All of the doctors' offices are closed, including the urgent care facilities. Should I go to the emergency room or wait until the offices open after Christmas?
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Do you have any pain?

Dr. James :

Any loss of vision?

Dr. James :

.

Dr. James :

You likely have a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

A subconjunctival hemorrhage happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overlying the blood.

Though its appearance is alarming and appears dangerous, it is generally harmless. It can sometimes spread as it did in your case, but still is not an emergency.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.