Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My brother has volunteered to be a kidney donor for me, but

My brother has volunteered to be a kidney donor for me, but tests have now shown that he has fibroids in the tubes around his kidneys. Will this mean that he is not suitable as a donor ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by fibroids?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fibroids are a common term in medicine. They are most often found in the uterus and In wikipaedia they are described as 'A uterine fibroid (also uterine leiomyoma,[1] myoma, fibromyoma, leiofibromyoma, fibroleiomyoma, and fibroma) (the plural of myoma is myomas or myomata) is a benign (non-cancerous) tumor that originates from the smooth muscle layer (myometrium) and the accompanying connective tissue of the uterus. To be honest I would have expected that you would know what a fibroid is and not have to ask, so am a little frustrated to get this as a question.
Please can you now answer the question that I asked.
Thanks
Patsy

I know what a fibroid is but where in the kidney?

The kidney is not a common place for a fibroid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I don't know where in the kidney the fibroids are, so maybe this is not a straightforward question that can be answered on the internet. I think the fibroids are on the veins and arteries leading to and from the kidneys. If this helps and you are able to give an answer great. if not then I think we will have to leave it and conclude no answer.
Are they cysts?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I have more information this end. They are fybro muscular dysplasia, not sure if that is spelled right, but that is what the doctor has said he has in his veins in his kidneys.
Please can you let me know if it will still be possible for him to donate.
Many thanks
Patsy
I don't think its possible if he has this. Sorry.