Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

If you have a lung nodule can it go away on it's own?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
12/4/2011
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 6 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
This depends on what the lung nodule is - but if this is a mediastinal node- then this needs to be evaluated.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Sorry I meant if you have a lung node in the left lower lobe. Can it go away on it's own?
Can you clarify what the x-ray / CT scan says?
A 5mm lung nodule in the left lower lobe.
Follow up in 6 months or so
then a follow up ct scan shows no lung nodule. So is it possible for it to dissapear?
Then you probably had a 'mis-read' on the scan, a possible infection, or your body just healed this on its own. So, this is all good news if this is all gone.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
A mis read on the scan?
Why I don't understand this is because a year ago they found the 5 mm lung nodule and then a year later the lung nodule isn't there but they found calcified hilar nodes and enlarged mediastinal nodes and a few small nodes in the axillary
Relist: Other.
Doctor offline
Doctor: DR MED MD, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD

Welcome to just answer.

Can you please mention your symptoms and reason for the first scan?

What treatment you took after the first scan?

Thanks
The first scan was done of the whole body
to see what arteries were blocked and the lung nodule came up on that scan showing it was 5mm and to repeat scan in 6 months or so.
The second scan was done because a widened mediastinum was found on an x ray.
This showed no lung nodule but found calcified hilar nodes and a solitary medastinal lymph node in the right tracheobroncholi angle of 1.7 cm and a few small lymph nodes in the right axillary all measuring under 6mm. So I don't understand how one scan says I have a lung nodule and then it's gone ???
Thanks for all the information.

Lung nodules are of various type.

Common causes of lung nodule are infections , tumors , certain systemic diseases , inflammatory etc.

Benign diseases are responsible for 60% of lung nodules.

Repeat scan is done to monitor growth of nodule. If they increase with time then chances of malignancy are there.

Non specific inflammatory nodule ca disappear on there own and this not uncommon.

Nothing to worry about lung nodule.

You have to follow up with scanning and lab investigations for mediastinal nodes specially the bigger one.

Thanks

Please feel free if you have any more doubt.
DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
DR MED MD
DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD