Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

What causes too much mucus on the tongue and back of throat.

what causes too much mucus on the tongue and back of throat. Is is all down to diet or do I have a medical problem
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.
SInce when you have this problem ?
Do you have other symptoms like cough ? fever ? pain in the throat ? change in voice ?
Any previous medical issues ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have had this problem for 6 years

NO

NO

Thank you for your reply,
Do you have foul smell from mouth ?
bleeding gums ?
Weight loss ?
Night sweats ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

YES

NO

NO

SOMETIMES

Thank you for your reply...sorry for some delay as there was some connection error,
These symptoms are less likely to be representative of a significant disease, it seems that there may be a possible ongoing chronic inflammation in this area which can occur due to recurrent sore throat, dental infections or allergy to some food.
This can be helped by taking warm water when these symptoms are most. Avoiding cola and fizzy drinks.
For evaluation if the symptoms are bothersome even after taking above mentioned measures are chest X rays and possibly a throat awab to see if there is some minimal infection which is not causing full symptoms of infection. Sometimes over counter anti allergics also help to reduce these symptoms.
I hope this helps.