DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have been experiencing a pulling sensation in my left breast.

I have been experiencing a pulling sensation in my left breast. Now it feels like a knot. It's been occurring for a few months. I had a normal mammogram in May. My Ob/Gyn Dr. is very aware of this. I had another mammogram plus a sonogram done a couple of weeks ago again normal. My Doctor now wants me to see a breast surgeon. I have a scheduled appt. I had a breast biopsy done six years ago on the mentioned breast for removal of calcifications. Biopsy was benign. This is making me very nervous. I do plan on seeing the surgeon. My question is there any way that this could be scar tissue? Or any underlying problem? Is seeing a breast surgeon necessary? I guess it is since maybe I could get an answer as to what this is. Advice and an opinion please. Thank you.
Hello
I would do an MRI
MRI is very sensitive to any mass, and in fact over diagnosis them.
But it is also excellent at delineating scar tissue.

Just from what you say I see know reason for exploratory surgery here.

Perhaps the referral is just for a second opinion on exam..

I would do the MRI first.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by a MRI being sensitive to any mass? And what does delineating exactly mean. So, mammograms and sonograms do not necessarily detect masses?
Yes they do
MRI is more sensitive, and will detect the smallest mass.

So that is what I would do first.

MRI will also detect scar tissues.

So that is what I would do first.

good luck