Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Does or can almond milk cause bloating, severe? I am

Customer Question

Does or can almond milk cause bloating, severe? I am allergic to milk so I have been using almond milk and just realized that I experience severe bloating soon after. Often before I am done with my cereal.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
I can understand your anxiety.
Bloating occurs when there is excess gas production. It is generally secondary to allergy or inflammation. It is not necessary that you have to have allergy to almond milk if you have one to normal milk. BUT allergy to almond milk is known and it can present with respiratory effect {difficulty in breathing} or bloating {less common as compared to wheat or dairy products though}.
In nutshell - If you are feeling bloated try to avoid almond milk and see there is less bloating. It will help us to diagnose.
I would also get few investigations like stool and blood tests/ scopy to rule out other causes {infection/ inflammation at the bowel}.
Wish you best of health. God bless