Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Is a partial sigmoid colon and an ileum reattachment a safe

Customer Question
surgery? Also, what life...
is a partial sigmoid colon and an ileum reattachment a safe surgery? Also, what life altering habits do I need to change in order to sustain a normal life? My colon was taken out due to diverticulitis which left me with 7" of sigmoid, rectum and anus left.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2011
Doctor: Dr. Tharun, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Dr.Tharun :

HI

Dr.Tharun :

When was the surgery and how are you recovering ? How are the stools - well formed , semi solid , too frequent ? HOw is your weight - decreasing or increasing ?

Customer:

july 18th 2011. feel good. have a ileum stoma. stools vary from some texture to tiquified. depending what i eat. my weight has increased (after septic shock rior to surgery) 32 lbs.

Dr.Tharun :

So you have a diversion ileostomy which they plan to reverse once you have recovered completely.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

small intestine to partial sigmoid

Customer:

surgery will be done mannually not laproscopically

Dr.Tharun :

By the recovery signs , you are doing well.Gaining weight and formed stools without signs of obstruction indicates a healthy recovery.So if your health has improved so that you can tolerate the surgery, they can go for the surgery.Before they will be planning to do contrast study or colonoscopy to make sure the joined part has healed properly without any narrowing or stenosis.

Customer:

is a partial sigmoid enough to maintain my current lifestyle?

Customer:

can i alter diarrhea etc???

Dr.Tharun :

Any anastomosis which preserves the rectum and anal sphincter is good surgery , as the main function of large bowel is storage and water absorption.

Dr.Tharun :

As long as you have the sigmoid and the rectum , storage function will be taken care of.

Dr.Tharun :

Rest of intestines adapt dramatically to take over the function of lost bowel

Customer:

what about the length of colon. normally 5 ft. i now have 7"

Dr.Tharun :

We can live with one third of our intestines, such is the adaptive capacity of our bowel.

Customer:

how successful is this surgery? what do you mean by adaptivity of the bowel?

Dr.Tharun :

The inner lining of intestines change to increase the surface area and hence more absorptive surface available with the same length and also they adapt to increase the more substrates which can be absorbed.

Customer:

will i have to change my eating and drinking habits? what about alcohol?

Dr.Tharun :

Alcohol has to avoided as they can cause several vitamin deficiency even in a normal bowel length.

Dr.Tharun :

More fibers and fluids and vitamin supplements are needed in the initial period.

Customer:

how successful is this surgery?

Dr.Tharun :

As the time goes , you can keep a book diary to note which food items can cause discomfort and upset and carefully avoid them.

Dr.Tharun :

As it has not been done for cancer it has high success rates as far the disease is concerned.

Customer:

will i need to be careful when exercising in the future. i do not want the resection to perforate too or should i just carry on as normal.

Dr.Tharun :

Exercises would not harm in any way.

Dr.Tharun :

The joined part would have completely healed in 4 weeks and will not give away now after 5 months.

Customer:

so 7" of sigmoid is acceptable to sustain my life as it used to be?

Dr.Tharun :

Yes with some minor adjustments I mentioned above.

Customer:

what can i eat or drink during this time to help assist a successful surgery?

Customer:

why is the colon so long if we do not need 5 ft.?

Dr.Tharun :

High protein, well balanced easy to digest diet and avoid constipation at any cost.

Customer:

high residue diet or low residue diet after resection?

Dr.Tharun :

If the frequency of stools is more , low residue diet which decreases the bowel transit time is used - typically which stimulate the bowel less .

Dr.Tharun :

That depends on patient to patient , As maintaining a food diary would be very helpful.

Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor