Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My sister had a hear transplant in 2002. She now has liver

My sister had a hear transplant in 2002. She now has liver cancer. Two operations failed to remove all the cancer. The doctors now say she has about six months to live. They also said that even if they do another operation, do chemo/radiation, the cancer is likely to come back. Should she consider a liver transplant?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.
Has the cancer spread out of the liver?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No.

Yes, this is possible. Surgery can be done for priXXXXX XXXXXver cancer if it has not spread.

However, it may not be possible as it sounds like she is not entirely able to undergo this big operation.

Your best bet is to get evaluated at a university hospital with a transplant center.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your quick and helpful response.

She weighs about 92 pounds, her normal weight was around 120. She has been at 92 pounds for a few years, but had dropped down to 86 at times. Her hospital is Loyola, a university hospital in Chicago with a liver transplant center. I called her and she and her husband will check about the possibility of a transfer.

What are the main factors that will determine if she is able to undergo this big operation?
You're welcome. :)

1) finding a donor match

2)if she can survive the operation