Dr.tiwari
Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

Can Norco or Hydrocodone be taken when taking blood thinners?

Customer Question

Can Norco or Hydrocodone be taken when taking blood thinners? My daughter,17, was just released from children’s hospital in LA and is taking Levoxine she was told to skip this dose because her blood test showed too high of dose. So, he said skip this dose and begin at 7 am tomorrow morning. She is now having leg pain, what should I do?

I have tried heat pad, it seems to be getting better but her lungs are hurting where the blood clots are. They said that is to be expected but she and I are scared.

She also seemed to start her period today, but it has almost stopped. Help!

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 5 years ago.

Dr.tiwari :

Hello

Customer:

We are just kind of freaked out because she was released today from children’s hospital in LA and her thinner levels where too high, so, doc said to skip a dose and begin a lower dose tomorrow morning @ 8. Her legs started to feel numb, but she also had a computer on her lap. Her lower back where her blood clots are, are hurting but doc said that would be normal spitting up a bit of blood again said would be normal body getting rid of clots. I just don't know about the numbness in legs and giving her the Norco for pain with blood thinners...HELP PLEASE

Dr.tiwari :

The Hydrocodone does not interfere with action of blood thinners but blood thinners or anticoagulant agent like heparin does have effect on other drugs like hydrocodone.

Customer:

What does that mean?

And what about the numbness in leg? (it is getting better though)

Dr.tiwari :

Is she having discoloration of legs?

Customer:

No

Dr.tiwari :

Is she also having weakness in her legs?

Is her numbness is worsening or improving?

Customer:

No weakness in legs and it is getting better when we put a heating pad on it.

Dr.tiwari :

The pain in legs due to DVT or clot in veins lead to discoloration of leg with swelling, it looks from your description that she is not having her problem due to clot in legs. This can be due to nerve compression. You may keep her limb in relaxed position & should put a pillow under the knee to leg. Avoid any compression over the bony prominences. The heating pad will help in relieving pain.

Customer:

Ok, thank you and can she take the Norco to relieve the pain in her back?

Dr.tiwari :

The blood thinners can decrease the metabolism of the Norco drugs so can elevate her blood levels & thus side effects.

Instead of this you may have a common analgesic like Advil to help her.

Customer:

How about Tylenol?

Dr.tiwari :

Tylenol, yes, she can have.

Customer:

They said to not take Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen on anything that can cause blood thinning

Dr.tiwari :

I apologize my mistake.

Dr.tiwari :

Yes.The paracetamol may lead to hypo prothrobinemia which may lead to increase in chances of bleeding if the levels of her blood thinners in blood are very high. In that case she should only be kept on heating pad.

Customer:

So, no Tylenol?

Dr.tiwari :

Yes.

Customer:

I’m sorry but I thought Tylenol was the one thing she could take!

Dr.tiwari :

Although some reports said that Tylenol is not associated with increase in prothrombin time but the adverse factor in your condition is already raised level of blood thinner.

Customer:

Ok, thank you!

Dr.tiwari :

Welcome.