Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Does the government keep records of everyones blood types or

Customer Question

Does the government keep records of everyones blood types or just the Rh factors or both? If a record of everyones blood factor is indeed recorded then is it possible for one to research their ancestors blood factors/blood lines?
Thanks-Much ♥
KB
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
No
The blood type is part of the medical record.
Each practice or institution would be required to keep that for a period of years.
7 years past the 18th birthday.
But this would not be in a central government data base and is subject to privacy.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm a bit confused here. You say that: "The blood type is part of the medical record.
7 years past the 18th birthday. But this would not be in a central government data base and is subject to privacy." <---Then how can people make charts regarding blood types here in the U.S. and around the world? If AB neg is 0.6% or 1 person in 170+ and another example of the ABO negative which is 1 out of 250,000 people worldwide (aka Bombay blood type) then how can this data be kept in privacy?

I found references that tell of the government keeping track of the rarest blood types and that all Rh negative people are kept track of as well because science does not know (or not saying) where the Rh negative factor is from. That the Rhesus factor (aka monkey blood) can be cloned and the negative blood factor (no monkey blood) cannot be cloned period. So I feel that someone is indeed keeping records. Right?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Ok
I'll opt out
maybe someone has a more detailed answer for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank-you so much for at least trying to answer my question Dr. Thomas. = )

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
The other expert is correct that the government does not keep data on a persons blood type. The reports on the frequency of certain blood types are because of data generated by individual providers, including those that collect blood donations, such as the Red Cross.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.