Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Head hurts when I cough. It is a sharp pain.

Customer Question
I have really bad pain...

I have really bad pain on top of my head when coughing or bending down. I went to the doctor & after taking 2 different antibiotics for sinus infection it didn't improve. Now I have also bad cough which feels as my lungs are tearing apart & of course every time I cough I get really sharp pain on top of my head please help.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2011
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 years ago
Where exactly is the pain and has that only happened since the rest of the problems have been going on?

It is exactly on top of my head. It started as severe headaches behind the eyes for few days. Then after 2 courses of antibiotics it got a bit better but the pain relocated instead to the top of the head. It does not hurt all the time but when coughing or bending. My throat is very itchy & so are my eyes

No tenderness there? Does the pain ever seem to radiate from the neck to that spot?

No, no neck problems. It is exactly in the center of my head

OK. Is it the head pain that most concerns you or was there more to all this you needed information on?

The head pain is really severe when coughing but the cough is also very bad

OK. Have you had a chest x-ray and a scan of your sinuses?

I had an x-ray of my sinuses. The GP said that I have sinusitis & put me on antibiotics. It did not help & then she switched to another antibiotic. That did not help either. I went to ENT doctor & after doing another x-ray he said that there is nothing wrong with my sinus & maybe this is some kind of allergy. He gave me some nose spray & antihistamine. It got a bit better for few days but now I have a cough, itchy throat & head pains.

OK. You may have gastric re-flux that's causing the coughing, and that could be treated with Nexium or Zantac. You need a chest x-ray to make sure you don't have pneumonia. As for the head pain, this could be from a disk problem in your neck since that can radiate pain to the top of the head. I'd get an MRI of the brain and neck to check for that and to make sure you don't have an aneurysm that's causing the pain.

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor