Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can you get Shingles from having sex? About 5 years ago I

Customer Question
Can you get Shingles from...
Can you get Shingles from having sex? About 5 years ago I had an outbreak of shingles on my one of my shins and on my stomach about a month after having unprotected sex since then the shingles would redevelop about twice a year at first. As time goes on the out breaks have been less severe and less often. I have never had any outbreaks in my genital area. Is there any other type of herpes that has similar symptoms to shingles?
Was this just a coincidence? I went to the doctor and they said it was contact dermatitis but my symptoms are exactly like shingles.
Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
10/14/2011
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 years ago
The outbreak from shingles is fairly recognizable and distinct. Is it that a doctor has never said this was shingles?
I didn't feel they took much time with me at my appointment
Well, shingles is also know as Herpes Zoster, but it's the chickenpox virus and not the herpes viruses that cause genital and oral herpes lesions. You can't get shingles from someone else. If you'd never had chickenpox and came in contact with someone with active shingles that was shedding the virus, you could get chickenpox. So if these outbreaks were shingles, it's just coincidence that the first one occurred a month after your unprotected sexual encounter.
I am sure I had chickenpox when I was young. Is there a test that they can give me to confirm shingles ? and I have read that most times you only get shingles once but in some cases it can come back is that correct ?
Most often shingles only hits once or twice, but some patients have it more often. As for testing, the active lesions can be cultured. It's just that usually shingles presents in such a standard and recognizable fashion that the diagnosis is made by history and exam alone.
thanks for your help you have made me feel better
Welcome.
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor