How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64410
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a chronic, choking, gagging cough for six months

Resolved Question:

I have had a chronic, choking, gagging cough for six months and cannot sleep lying down. I've seen an ENT physician, an allergist, a pulmonologist, have had a CT scan of the lungs, a bronchoscopy, chest x-ray and all are negative. Now I am advised to see a gastroenterologist for GERD. I have mild indigestion, but no heartburn. Is a endoscopy the way to go, or could I have a food allergy?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
This is classic for GERD
I am not sure why your were not referred before.
In fact, a trial of nexium for a month would give an answer.
;Endoscopy is not necessarily initially needed unless this has been going on for years.
You should though have a breath test for h pylori to make sure you also do not have the ulcer bug...h pylori, which requires a course of antibiotics.

See GI.
This is probably the problem.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you receive my reply?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
please re post
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I apologize that I did not mention that I was on 40mg of Omeprazole daily for three weeks without results. Does this change your original anxwer?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
if this does not work within six weeks or so a scope should be considered, as should Ph testing of the esophagus....discuss this with GI.

good luck again

Let me know if you have further questions

DrRussMD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you