How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vakul Aren Your Own Question
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4000
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Vakul Aren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does it mean when a urine culture report shows 100,000

Customer Question

What does it mean when a urine culture report shows > 100,000 CFU/ML (YEAST NOT
C ALBICANS) Mine is not a vaginal infection but is within my whole body. What kind of
a cure can I expect and how do I accomplish that?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

Well, Urine is normally sterile and as such there should be no growth. Greater than 100,000 CFU/mL of any single colony type is considered evidence of UTI.

Also bacteria Escherichia coli (E. coli) cause the majority of lower urinary tract infections.
In most of the cases such infection is treated with-
trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, ciprofloxacin, and nitrofurantoin.

If this is complicated case, then doctor advise it to treat with Gram-negative organism, oral fluoroquinolone
Enterococcus species, ampicillin or amoxicillin with or without gentamicin (Garamycin).

Also you should follow these tips-

-Maintain a high fluid intake to be sure you have good urine output-at least one to two quarts of fluid in 24 hours.
-Drink cranberry juice.
-Empty their bladder as soon as they feel the urge to urinate, even if it does not feel full.
-Avoid foods that may irritate the bladder, such as spicy foods, alcohol, or beverages containing caffeine.

Please make an appointment with Urologist for management of this issue. Good luck and take care.

Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. A BONUS is appreciated.
If you have other questions, please ask them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was told that I do not have a urinary tract infection, however it is a fungal infection - can this be treated without medication or with diet alone. Is more than 100,000 CFU/ML
a very serious problem? I have been referred to a infectious disease expert by my doctor and will show him your answers and then decide whether to accept your answer or not.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer, Greetings.Use of bladder irrigation with antifungal drugs may help clearing the fungii faster from the bladder.Drugs like Amphotericin B have been used for bladder irrigation.Usually mixed infections with E.coli/strep or staph along with the yeast are seen when the Infection is as high as 100,00CFU/Ml.The generalised whole body yeast infection normally would occur due to reduced immunity due to drugs like steroids or disease.The treatment of the underlying disorder would also be essential.Medication will definitely be indicated,as you are already on oral antifungals like Fluconazole and Ketoconazole,perhaps bladder irrigation may also be considered.Other antifungals like Itraconazole,Voriconazole or Caspofungin may be considered.A cystoscopy to evaluate the genitourinary system would help.Reducing the carbohydrate intake and avoiding antibiotics will help prevent yeast infections.Avoid antibacterial soaps and wash with water.Dietary treatment will include garlic,cranberry juice,Propolis made from bee produce and yoghurt will help.