Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Have a low MCV (78) and MCH (26) in my latest blood count. I

Have a low MCV (78) and MCH (26) in my latest blood count. I feel tired during the day, could this be why??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 5 years ago.
What about your hemoglobin and hematocrit levels? How long have you been tired, and has your doctor discussed this with you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Red cell count is normal (5.74), Haemoglobin normal (15.1), PCV is normal (45)
Sorry--I forgot to ask--were your iron levels and ferritin levels and iron saturation checked? Were you screened for other reasons for the fatigue?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No iron levels and ferritin levels not checked
The rest of the blood work was normal? Have you discussed any of this with your doctor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The rest of the blood work was normal. The tiredness is extreme towards the close of every day, I have not seen my doctor yet..
OK. You may have an iron deficiency which would explain the values you first mentioned. It doesn't, however, seem to be to the point where your actual red blood cell count is low and so you don't have an anemia that would explain your fatigue. Other possibilities include low thyroid, low cortisol levels, vitamin deficiencies, liver or kidney disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune disorders, sleep apnea, and cardiac problems. Sorry to give you a grocery list here, but I can't tell you exactly what your problem is and I don't know which if any of these has been screened by your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did a kidney test as well to rule out any kidney malfunctions. The kidney results all returned normal. Pending when i see my doctor on monday, meanwhile, what foods/ diet do you reccommend and vitamins?
I suggest you read "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. to learn about a nutrient rich diet and supplements--that is the best source I know for the information you need.