Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Sometimes I wake up and my whole entire body is

Customer Question
humming/vibrating inside! Itseems to go...
Sometimes I wake up and my whole entire body is humming/vibrating inside! Itseems to go away after about a few minutes. What could be causing this??? (I used to be a smkoker: a pack a day for 28 years. Quit htree years ago. Could this have effected my CNS? I do not drink caffeine, do drugs or drink alcohol.) Lisa Hart
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
9/14/2011
Doctor: Dr. German, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor
Hi,welcome to justanswer ,these whole vibrations that You experience when you wake up could be caused by a Sleep Disorder.
There is a disorder called Periodic Limb Movement of Sleep . In this condition, the patient experiences movements after he / she begins to sleep. These movements can wake up the patient ,it feels like the whole body is vibrating .
This type of disorder could affect you in the long term , because it decreases the quality of your life ,you will not be able to sleep properly , these movements could interrupt your sleep or wake you up. In some occasions, the patient could feel sleepy during the day,but they do not know the specific cause .
The only way to determine if you have this disorder is for you to consult a Sleep Specialist doctor who will be able to perform a Sleep Study Test or a Polysomnography.
This condition is managed with anti-Parkinson Medication, benzodiazepines . Other medications used to treat these disorders are Pramipexole or Ropinirole .
Other condition that can produce these symptoms are called Hypnic jerk, in this condition, the myoclonus or jerking,humming or vibrating movements happens when you are falling asleep .
Consult a Sleep Specialist who can evaluate and determine if you have a sleep disorder. This specialist will be able to determine what is the best treatment for you.
If you like the answer,please click accept so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor
There is a disorder called Periodic Limb Movement of Sleep . In this condition, the patient experiences movements after he / she begins to sleep. These movements can wake up the patient ,it feels like the whole body is vibrating . This type of disorder could affect you in the long term , because it affects the quality of your sleep , these movements could interrupt your sleep cycle or wake you up. In some occasions, the patient could feel sleepy during the day,and for a long time, they do not know the specific cause .
The only way to determine if you have this disorder is for you to consult a Sleep Specialist doctor who will be able to perform a Sleep Study Test or a Polysomnography. This condition is managed with anti-Parkinson Medication, benzodiazepines . Other medications used to treat these disorders are Pramipexole or Ropinirole .
There is a condition called obstructive sleep apnea, in this condition , the airways can be temporary blocked when the patient is sleeping and the patient wakes up when their body is not receiving enough oxygen .This condition could also produce jerking movements , it is managed using a device called Continuous Positive Airway Pressure which is delivered through a mask that will be used while the patient is sleeping.
Dr. German
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor