Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

What is the recovery time for compression fracture of L1 and

What is the recovery time for compression fracture of L1 and L2? What is the best treatment?
Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 6 years ago.
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

These usually take 8-12 weeks for recovery, and they are often treated in a brace (jewett brace)

Dr Brims :

If the are stabel

Dr Brims :

If they are unstable they often require surgical intervention, but I assume your injury is stable, since you did not state you had surgery

Dr Brims :

The brace is a an extension brace

Dr Brims :

Sorry, mispelled stable earlier

Customer:

Should I continue with the ice, and how do I know is surgery is something I should consider?

Dr Brims :

Did you see an orthopaedic surgeon?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes, I did, he had very little explanation, he only stated surgery was an option or I could try a brace, which I have. That is why I am seeking additional information.

Dr Brims :

Okay, without seeing the x rays and CT scan there is no way I can determine if you need surgery. If you have any numbness or tingling, or loss of bladder or bowel control, it would be an indication for surgery

Dr Brims :

There is no "best " treatment, there is the best treatment for each situation, but if you have been in a brace for 4.5 weeks, I don't think surgery is best now, it will take more time for this to heal, and you will need to be patient

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Dr Brims :

Maybe the chat is having problems

Customer:

Should I continue with the ice?

Dr Brims :

At this stage the ice will not benefit you much, but if it helps the pain you may continue

Customer:

Thank you