Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Why does my knee feel like it has glass in it when I kneel

Customer Question

Why does my knee feel like it has glass in it when I kneel on it? It is a very intense pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 5 years ago.
Your age? Was any trauma involved? Can you describe exactly all that's going on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 53 yrs. old. The only trauma I can think of was swimming in the ocean and being knocked down hard at one point hitting my knee on the sand. That was at the end of July. When I kneel down I scream in pain and it feels like a burning pain, like glass is inside my knee behind my kneecap or just under it. It has gradually become worse and now to the point of being painful all the time. It isn't swollen.
Any swelling? Any clicking when you flex or extend the knee?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No swelling, or clicking.
Other medical conditions? Any problems with any other joints?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No other conditions. I had shingles in June. The area is very tender to the touch. I have been taking ibuprophen for pain. The only real pain is when I kneel. When I straighten my leg and press on that area I feel no pain.
OK. You may have had a kneecap contusion with the accident. That means you could have bursitis or an injury to the underside of the kneecap or to the ligaments supporting the kneecap. All I can say now is you need an MRI of the knee to see exactly what's going on here. Depending on what that shows, I personally would probably refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine specialist--for an intense, customized treatment program that might include a cortisone injection. This may become a surgical problem, but I don't think so. In the meantime, you can try heat, rest, and ibuprofen for the pain.
Anything I can add?