Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

I have a pimple on the side of my tongue. when i squeeze it

I have a pimple on the side of my tongue. when i squeeze it with my teeth it hurths. it a bump that is uplifted and is white on the outside and inside looks red kind of like a volcano. i am very nervous because i have never had this before. what do you think it is?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 5 years ago.

Dr Jones :

Hello

Dr Jones :

Welcome to justanswer.

Dr Jones :

Since when do you have this ?

Customer:

i have had this for about 1 week

Customer:

should i go to the dentist and find out what is it. i am nervous because i have never had a pimple on my tongue like this

Dr Jones :

This is very likely to represent a tongue ulcer.

Dr Jones :

There are multiple causes which can cause this and its ideal to see doctor for this.

Customer:

a tongue ulcer how did this develop ? is it cancerous, is it contagious. should i be worried?

Customer:

should i see a doctor or a dentist

Dr Jones :

Causes of ulcers on tongue are varied. These include the consumption of food items which are too hot ,excesses Coffee and tea ,tongue damage or trauma due to spicy foods or foods that are too hot, having a stomach or peptic ulcer can also result in having tongue ulcers ,stress and nutritional deficiencies.The abuse of cigarettes and excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages can also cause ulcers on tongue. .

Dr Jones :

Even seeing your regular doctor can prove helpful.

Customer:

ok you are making me feel a little better. it could be stress and i have been very depressed for the past two weeks after a recent pregnancy termination. could that be the cause plus the medication that i have been on.

Dr Jones :

Yes, it can surely be related to stress and even medications.

Dr Jones :

I guess you can give symptomatic treatment a try.

Dr Jones :

Please ask if there are doubts.

Customer:

what do you mean by symptomatic treatment

Dr Jones :

In most cases doctors recommend the intake of B-complex vitamins to help with the healing process of the ulcers.This is a effective treatment. The direct application of glycerin on the ulcers will also speed up the healing process of the ulcers. The home remedies for ulcers on tongue are applying butter on the lesions to alleviate the pain, using a solution of salt and warm water to clean the lesions, eating ripe papayas will also help to lessen the lesions.

Customer:

can you reccomend something specific to treat it so it can go aaway

Dr Jones :

For specific treatment you will first need clinical evaluation so that the underlying cause for symptoms is determined.Till then I have suggested above treatment which can prove helpful in most cases.

Customer:

thank you. i appreciate your time