Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a feeling of fermentation going on in my gut [stomach

Customer Question
- upper gut, rather than...
I have a feeling of fermentation going on in my gut [stomach - upper gut, rather than lower intestine colon rectum - b ut sometimes my stools float] that leaves me dizzy and disorientated as if I have had several alcoholic drinks.
I burp gassily frequently but do not have diarrhoea or sickness, nor any pain while this fermentation goes on, for hours at a time, sometimes from one day to the next.
I eat a normal healthy diet with meat, fish, veg oil, 5 x fruits and veges every day - sometimes I am free of this fermentation sometimes it returns with no pattern observed.
Is it a fungal infection?
Probiotics and yogurt do not stop the fermentation.
Any ideas about treatment / cure??
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
8/16/2011
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 years ago
Can you expand on what you mean by fermentation--gas, burning, growling? How long does the dizziness and disorientation last?
Fermentation = chemical digestion of the food in my stomach to produce gases and alcohol by [fungal/bacterial] fermentation? is how I would describe it.
Gas - yes = gassy burping and floaty stools.
Some 'burning' feeling - not hot and not 'burning' as in getting feverish or hot. No fever, no pain, but some burning - I can feel it now inside my waist area at the front.
Dizziness - for hours at a time, after meals, or even when not eating - as now, variable intensity, sometimes to the point of staggering, not seeing right.
Disorientation can be severe for minutes to an hour, lasting at various intensities for hours - a whole morning - going into the afternoon, lasting all day.
I go to sleep always and am not aware of this at night when asleep but may wake 'whoozy'. I have different qualities of sleep, but always 'go out like a light'.
Your other medical conditions, and have you spoken to a doctor about this?
No other medical conditions that I am aware of - have had a recent Well-Woman check that found me A1!!! = glucose tolerance tests and blood tests for diabetes showed none, blood pressure normal/low; normal mammography scan. Am reasonably fit/average weight for my height and for my age, no osteo problems. Take no drugs, save tea and coffee, the odd aspirin, paracetamol for a headache very rarely. Get some zig-zag eye disturbances when the whooziness comes like a silent migraine.
I lost my mother in January - still grieving - and I am worried my husband shows signs of dementia, but am comfortably off to be able to go with the flow psychologically. But could anxiety play a part?
Had this fermentation whooziness problem on and off since 2009.
Anxiety could be part of this, but I suggest you see a gastroenterologist. Possible causes could be irritable bowel syndrome, gastric reflux, gall bladder conditions, or, perhaps, gastroparesis--a stomach that empties too slowly. For the time being you could try Zantac or Pepcid AC and PeptoBismol for the symptoms.
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor