Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a 2in. round hematoma on the top of my hand from a

Customer Question
severe bruise. It has been...
I have a 2in. round hematoma on the top of my hand from a severe bruise. It has been there for 2 weeks and is very tender. There is no sign of decrease in size. How long will it take to heal or do I need it removed?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
Expert: Dr. Lori, Board Certified Family Physician replied 6 years ago
Dr. Lori, Board Certified Family Physician
Dr. Lori :

HI! I am DR. LORI, and I am happy to help you! Are you available to chat right now?

Dr. Lori :

A hematoma can take up to 6 weeks to reabsorb

Customer:

yes.

Dr. Lori :

But

Dr. Lori :

If it is still very tender, you want to have a doc look at it, as hematomas can become infected, and will on the hand more than other places

Customer:

What can I do for the pain? If I leave my hand extended at my side normally the pain is severe at times.

Dr. Lori :

You said the swelling went down, with no improvement in pain?

Customer:

The whole hand was swollen like a boxing glove!! the fingers and surrounding tissue has gone down but the cite of impact(henatoma remains.

Dr. Lori :

ok-- so has imroved....

Dr. Lori :

still.....it shouldn't hurt so much

Dr. Lori :

When did your doc last see it?

Customer:

Yes except for the round area in the center. I saw the doc last Mon. he referred me to O.T.

Dr. Lori :

what happens is the majority of blood shifts and reabsorbs, but a small amount can stick around

Dr. Lori :

therapy can take awhile

Dr. Lori :

Is it hot?

Customer:

Red in color but not fevered.

Dr. Lori :

OK

Dr. Lori :

How about you- feel sick?

Dr. Lori :

like fever/illness

Customer:

No I have no symptoms except a very ugly hand and the pain.

Dr. Lori :

Was it less painful on Monday or more?

Customer:

The pain has been pretty constant since the injury.

Dr. Lori :

And this was x-rayed at some point?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Lori :

How big did it get at max?

Dr. Lori :

it is 2 inches now

Customer:

The area remaining has stayed the same. The surrounding area swelled from my knuckles to the wrist and was the same size approx. 1 in off the top of my hand.

Dr. Lori :

so is much smaller now?

Dr. Lori :

the color will go away in time-- weeks even

Customer:

All is smaller except the 2 in area in the center of my hand.

Dr. Lori :

But the pain is concerning- since it is so much smaller, the stretch on the skin etc should all be much better

Dr. Lori :

can you feel fluid inside?

Customer:

I cnnot make a fist or use my hand to open containers or grasp the curling iron. as the skin is too tight from the henmatoma.

Customer:

Yes!1

Dr. Lori :

Is OT oing ultrasound/phonophoresis

Dr. Lori :

doing

Customer:

No they have used ice packs and massage but no ultrasound.

Dr. Lori :

this is likely what you need to break it up

Dr. Lori :

but....I would definitely call your doc- be seen-- or ask for a hand referral since the pain is not improved and your function is not improving

Customer:

O.K. Thaks a bunch I lie in a rural area where good medical care is hord to get. I will ask tomorrow for ultra sound treatments..Thank you so much!!

Dr. Lori :

In some cases they will extract surgically- but the longer the fluid stays there, the more likely it is to be infected

Dr. Lori :

the peristent pain worries me

Dr. Lori :

I woul xray again 2 weeks from last

Customer:

O.K. I have been concerned of infection. Will call doc again tomorrow and ask for a referral.

Dr. Lori :

make sure there is no fracture missed

Customer:

Thank You so much will follow your suggestions.

Dr. Lori :

that is the best thing for now-- you are very welcome

Customer:

Have a grerat Sunday evening Dr. Lori.

Dr. Lori :

If you ever have a question again, ask for me, or start your question with DR. LORI!!

Dr. Lori :

I'll be happy to help

Dr. Lori :

was this helpful?

Customer:

Sure Will!! :)

Dr. Lori :

If so, please click the green ACCEPT so I am credited, much thanks!

Customer:

Yes Absolutely just needed reinforcement for what I was thinking.

Dr. Lori :

feel better!

Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori

• Get a Professional AnswerVia email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.