Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with RSD. I received 3 cortisone shots in my…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with RSD...
I was diagnosed with RSD. I received 3 cortisone shots in my back which diagnosed and treated it. I still don't understand what it is. It was arrested at the toes of my right foot.
Can you explain what it is and can it come back?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
8/9/2011
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy, also referred to as complex regional pain syndrome, occurs from an injury (such as surgery or trauma) or illness affecting an extremity, resulting in increased firing of the nerves carrying the pain message. The exact reason that the injury or illness results in this problem is unclear. The majority of persons will have complete resolution of symptoms, but a small percentage will have persistent symptoms. In the persons that have complete resolution of symptoms, recurrence occurs in about 10-30% of people, particularly if there is another injury or illness that may precipitate the problem..

Dr. D. Love, Doctor