Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How serious is a low hemoglobin level of 10.8, low

hematocrit level of 33.4, low...
how serious is a low hemoglobin level of 10.8, low hematocrit level of 33.4, low mcv level of 71.2, low mch level of 23.1 and a high rdw level of 16.5?
8/8/2011
Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Dr. Charogat :

hi#

Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

That level is pretty low, but how serious it is would depend partly on what the person's hemoglobin normally is

Dr. Charogat :

Can you tell me more about the reason for this blood test?

Customer:

check up

Dr. Charogat :

Any symptoms?

Dr. Charogat :

What were prior blood tests like?

Dr. Charogat :

Was the test done around the time of menstruation?

Customer:

aching foot and calves, have bowel movement every other day an slight chest pains 2-3 months ago.

Customer:

i also completed menstruation about 1 week prior to test

Dr. Charogat :

It sounds like you are very anemic. Both low in blood cells as well as in the iron that should fill those blood cells

Dr. Charogat :

This usually occurs from blood loss

Dr. Charogat :

For someone who has heavy menstruation that could happen

Dr. Charogat :

Did your doctor do (or send you for) a test to see if there is blood in your stool?

Customer:

my last menstruation was very heavy. but will this cause chest pains and the foot/calves ache?

Dr. Charogat :

Absolutely

Dr. Charogat :

There is not enough oxygen going around your body

Dr. Charogat :

Are you still having the same syptoms or are they improving?

Dr. Charogat :

Is there a 'reticulocyte' or 'retic' count listed?

Customer:

also approx 4 months ago my stool was checked for blood and it as negative...yes i am having the foot pains and slight chest pain about 5 days ago.

Dr. Charogat :

shortness of breath?

Dr. Charogat :

do you know what your levels for hemoglobin were on your last test?

Customer:

no shortness of breath

Dr. Charogat :

Do you know your retic / reticulocyte count?

Customer:

by the way my globulin cnt is 4.1

Customer:

unknown retic count

Dr. Charogat :

If you continue being symptomatic then there is a chance that you will need a blood transfusion (that is the worst case scenario)

Dr. Charogat :

You also will need to be taking iron supplements, and your doctor might want you to take a medication such as erythropoetin to increase your red blood cell production.

Dr. Charogat :

If your retic count is very high then that would mean that your body is doing the job by itself and erythropoetin would not be indicated.

Dr. Charogat :

This is certainly something that needs to be monitored, and the reason for it needs to be found.

Customer:

thank you so much . any other suggestions?

Dr. Charogat :

It the reason is your menstruation then chances are that you have fibroids which need to be dealt with

Dr. Charogat :

The main thing is to get lots of iron into you in a usable form. Dark leafy vegetables have iron as well

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Charogat :

if you go to nutritiondata.com you can find out the iron content (as well as many other things)

Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor