How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35768
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been having pain in my testicles,lower back an left

Resolved Question:

i have been having pain in my testicles,lower back an left lower side.for around 4 months. i have seen my doctor three times.i have a scan booked for wednesday this week.on friday i found a lump on my left testicle.i have been back to my doctor today he could not find it but then i showed him where it was.he has dismissed there being anything wrong.i have also been feeling numness in my left leg top.
i am very worried having seen reports of cancer an such things on net. my doctor does not explain anything to me as to what it could be becuase clearly i have a problem being in pain 24/7.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Do you have lump on testes or in scrotum (can you feel it separate to testes)?
Is the lump hard, tender?
What is the size of lump?
Do you have any urinary symptoms?
Any family history or significant past history?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


lump is on testicle lump is tender an hard,not very big.

my testes r always in pain 24/7

no urinary symptoms

no family no history.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Chronic testes pain, back pain and lower abdominal pain is usually related to noninflammatory conditions but chronic infections also should be considered. Because the testes arise embryologically in close proximity to the kidneys, pain arising in the kidneys or retroperitoneum may also be referred to the testes. So an abdominal ultrasound, intravenous pyelography and a CT scan of the abdomen should be done to evaluate testicular pain.

A urine and sperm culture for pyogenic organisms and mycobacterium would also be advisable. This should be able to point towards the chronic infection and give the guidelines for the further management.

Following other causes to be considered for the pain in your case are;

1) Recurrent torsion

2) Torsion or inflammation of the appendix of the testes

3) Infectious epididymitis

4) Noninfectious epididymitis; occur due to reflux of urine through the ejaculatory ducts and vas into the epididymis, producing a "chemical" inflammation

5) Referred pain - the genitofemoral, ilioinguinal, or posterior scrotal nerves CAN CAUSE REFERRED PAIN. Other causes of referred pain are abdominal aortic aneurysm, ureteric stone, lower lumbar or sacral nerve root impingement, retrocecal appendicitis and retroperitoneal tumor.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

im not asking u what i should do becuase i have a scan booked for wednesday.

what im askin is what u think it is becuase my doctor tells me nothing.

i am worried that this my be cancer

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Cancer is unlikely which would have enlarged the testes and would have been obvious by the physical examination of your doctor.

This is likely to be;

1) Infectious epididymitis
2) Inflammation of the appendix of the testes (it is a small structure attached to the testes).

It is privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you