TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

diagnosis was after they did blood work and a cat scan..Cipro

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis three days ago after i went to the er with abdominal pain. The diagnosis was after they did blood work and a cat scan. I had two iv's of antibiotics and was sent home with a prescription of Cipro and Flagyl.

My question is can i treat this with just Cipro? The flagyl is making me very ill and causing much anxiety and panic. Would i be in danger if i drop the flagyl?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

When did you start taking flagyl? What are the symptoms you are feeling?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been on the flagyl for 3 days. The flagyl is making me ill. It is giving me a lot of anxiety depression and bouts of crying. Also i think it has made me constipated because i have not had a bowel movement since the day i was in the ER. That could also be becuase i have been on a liquid diet for 3 days. I am supposed to start eating tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

Flagyl takes care of anaerobic organism. Anaerobic bacteria is present in out intestine. When there is infection there is a overgrowth of these bacteria. Flagyl can control protozoal infection. It has wide coverage in intestinal infection. You have taken 3 days. Whether you can stop it for the side effect, doctor can decide after physical examination. Cipro is a broad spectrum antibiotic and also will help to control infection. As you have not taken food adequately, it can make you constipated.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Hello-

I would strongly suggest talking to your doctor. The cipro by itself would not be sufficient for a bout of diverticulitis- as it only treats gram negative bacteria but has no activity for gram positives or anaerobes.

Side effects are common from Flagyl. Taking it with food does help some of this- but if you cannot tolerate it, there certainly are alternatives- either clindamycin, or Augmentin by mouth can be substituted.

So don't just stop it on your own- if you cannot tolerate it - let your physician know and ask for an alternative medicine.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.
POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases