khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

How does it take for a perforated ulcer to kill you? I have

Customer Question

How long does it take for a perforated ulcer to kill you? I have had what feels like ulcer pain the past three days. I haven't thrown up, my stools are normal in color, my blood pressure is 107/79, my bpm is 91, temp is 99.0 (i live in the desert where its currently 115 outside though) but I have been having what feels like hunger pain and a sharp stabbing pain above my belly button and below my chest/ribs (kind of where my diaphragm is). My doctor can't get me in until Monday. I heard if you have a perforated ulcer (especially for a few days) your blood pressure is usually low because theres bleeding in the body. I am just worried about the sharp stabbing pain that comes and goes around my stomach area. What other signs should I be looking for and is monday okay to wait and see the doctor? thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 years ago.
Patients with perforated PUD usually present with a sudden onset of severe, sharp abdominal pain. Most patients describe generalized pain; a few present with severe epigastric pain. As even slight movement can tremendously worsen their pain, these patients assume a fetal position. Abdominal examination usually discloses generalized tenderness, rebound tenderness, guarding, and rigidity. However, the degree of peritoneal findings is strongly influenced by a number of factors, including the size of perforation, amount of bacterial and gastric contents contaminating the abdominal cavity, time between perforation and presentation, and spontaneous sealing of perforation. These patients may also demonstrate signs and symptoms of septic shock, such as tachycardia, hypotension, and anuria. Not surprisingly, these indicators of shock may be absent in elderly or immunocompromised patients or in those with diabetes. Patients should be asked if retching and vomiting occurred before the onset of pain.
By BS Anand, MD; Chief Editor: Julian Katz, MD
Any questions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
basically I wouldn't even be able to walk?
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 years ago.
It would be difficult because of the pain. You should always carry your cellphone with you so that you can call 911 or someone else.