911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have pain in my back, at my bra line, very sensitive to

I have pain in my back, at my bra line, very sensitive to the touch, it doesn't hurt when I bend or move, no injury...my ankles are swollen. Stools are different every time I go. Went to Dr today, upon pressure on my abdomen, very painful on left side. Have been urinating less often, but still drinking lots of water. Right knee pain, Ortho said I have the knee of a 48 year old, ( I am 48)...... Dr today said it could be diverticulitis. Is doing blood work to check blood levels, what do you think??
Thank you!
~Mary
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

Based on what you have told me I think diverticulitis is a very likely diagnosis though I do not know that it explains all of your symptoms....

HERE IS A LINK THAT EXPLAINS what it is

Notice these parts in particular....

"

Symptoms

Common signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:

• Pain that's often sudden, severe and located in the lower left side of the abdomen
  • Less commonly, abdominal pain that may be mild at first and become worse over several days, possibly fluctuating in intensity
  • Change in bowel habits
  • Abdominal tenderness
  • Fever
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloating
"
///
///

so the pain under your bra strap doesn't go with this nor does the ankle swelling, but neither of those are nearly as important as your abdominal pain, and as far as this goes i think the diverticulitis idea is a pretty good one. ultimately you may need a CT scan or even a scope to properly diagnose you, and also, make sure you know the danger signs of diverticulitis.... worsening pain, fever, blood in the stool, nausea and vomiting. if this happens this weekend then please do go to the ER.

I hope this answers your question.

Best

"
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have abdominal pain, this only happened when he applied pressure, no fever, no do I have nausea or vomiting...
Expert:  911DOC replied 6 years ago.
i understand, but you shouldn't have abdominal pain with pressure that is greater in one area of the abdomen than another, and i know you don't have ALL the symtoms, but you do have some. change in stool habits and pain in the left lower quadrant.

i thought you were asking if diverticulitis was a reasonable thing to be thinking about.... it is.

if you are asking what I think you have then i am at a tremendous disadvantage as i have not seen or examined you.

but if you are looking for something to 'tie it all together', and it seems lik you might be, then if the diverticulitis angle does not work out your doctor will likely next pursue a rheumatology diagnosis such as Lupus, as this can affect multiple body systems including the bones and the skin. but now we are REALLY guessing.

I think the workup your doctor is doing is a very reasonable one, but i can not tell you your diagnosis. it seems that your doctor is in the same position after seeing you and is awaiting further information.

can you be more specific with what you would like me to answer and maybe i can shed some light.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, i just though with diverticulitis, you would be in constant pain in the abdomen area, not just upon pressure.
He has me on amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day & metronidazole 250 mg 3x a day, took blood work & will follow up on Monday with a scan if necessary
Expert:  911DOC replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you have a very good physician. I was concerned about you going into the weekend without proper treatment for diverticulitis. Often the diagnosis is made on physical exam and people are placed on antibiotics presumptively. This means that often we do not get a CT scan we listen to a story we do an exam and we prescribe medicines. I suspect you will get better over the weekend. If you do not, then you and your doctor do have lots to talk about on Monday. If you do then he has proved himself to be a very good physician indeed.
If I have answered your questions adequately, please do click the green accept button so that JA will forward my reimbursement to me. Thank you very much for your question.