Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Why do pvc's cause me to cough when I have them? Have most

recently had checkup by cardiologist...
Why do pvc's cause me to cough when I have them? Have most recently had checkup by cardiologist who says my EKG was
normal. No response yet concerning other tests, i.e., nuclear stress and ultrasound of heart. I'm to receive a letter concerning
the results of those other tests. I've been taking 1/2 of a 25 mg. tab of atenolol at the prescription a year and a half ago by
my primary care physician, who wasn't excited about it because I normally have "no b.p." as she said. I hate the side effects
of the atenolol and would like to know if there is another med which would substitute. MOSTLY, I want to know why pvc's/
pac's cause me to cough. Thanks for any response.
8/4/2011
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Doctor Cameron :

hi

Doctor Cameron :

what else are you taking in terms of medication?

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

Did you see that I'm taking Cymbalta, Synthroid and 1/4 clonazepam ?

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

That's it.

Doctor Cameron :

yes

Doctor Cameron :

thanks

Doctor Cameron :

Well, PVCs are commonly associated with cough, and even fainting

Doctor Cameron :

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/30/2/391.full

Doctor Cameron :

It is believed that pulmonary trunk distension may trigger cough reflex by stimulating sympathetic innervation in RVOT or pulmonary artery. Although an increase in peak flow velocity in RVOT associated with PVCs was significant in the present study, it might have caused only a low increase in pressure in the pulmonary trunk. The cough reflex is initiated by irritating cough receptors primarily localised in the epithelium of the upper and lower respiratory tract.

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

okay.....continue

Doctor Cameron :

basically the arrhythmia triggers a change in blood flow which then triggers a cough reflex

Doctor Cameron :

actually in people with chronic cough, checking them for PVCs is an important part of diagnosis

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

cough reflex based upon the info you gave me in previous response?

Doctor Cameron :

crazy, huh?

Doctor Cameron :

yup

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

No....

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

not crazy.....

Doctor Cameron :

No, I mean, interesting..

Doctor Cameron :

sorry

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

okay.....

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

So....there's nothing to worry about?

Doctor Cameron :

I think that it is interesting how a change in your heart beat can cause a change in blood flow enough to cause cough

Doctor Cameron :

well, nothing to worry about

Doctor Cameron :

very irritating

Doctor Cameron :

for yu

Doctor Cameron :

*you

Doctor Cameron :

so, getting the pvcs under control is your priority

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

yo're so right

Doctor Cameron :

unless it is really not bothering you that much

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

it does bother me...esp. when I try to have any conversation which is

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

emotionally "charged" for me

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

such as even having this current "conversation"

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

are u there?

Doctor Cameron :

yes

Doctor Cameron :

sorry I had to stretch my legs

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

Sorry, I had not read the green accept button info. So far, I'm "accepting."

Doctor Cameron :

well, when you are stressed about something, it makes your adrenaline flow and your pvcs

Doctor Cameron :

thanks :)

Doctor Cameron :

do you drink alcohol

Doctor Cameron :

?

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

Do you think adrenal supplements arehelpful? no I don't drink alky

Doctor Cameron :

no no

Doctor Cameron :

I mean, you have too MUCH adrenaline

Doctor Cameron :

what would help you, is relaxation techniques

Doctor Cameron :

we have already identified that when you get emotionally charged, it stresses you and makes the symptoms worse

Doctor Cameron :

doing something like yoga, breathing, tai chi really helps

Doctor Cameron :

I do martial arts and it clears my mind and helps me focus

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

typical recommendations....I agree with them

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

seems I would have to spend my entire life doing those things to calm down

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

my body/mind

Doctor Cameron :

well, for the time being maybe

Doctor Cameron :

as you get more relaxed, your body will zen out faster

Doctor Cameron :

these are typical recommendations, because they work

Doctor Cameron :

as well acupuncture and acupressure is good

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

oh, yes....have recently had acupuncture for 2 extreme headaches

Doctor Cameron :

has it helped?

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

which were caused by the 30 extra mgs. of Cym.

Doctor Cameron :

I see

Doctor Cameron :

you can talk to your acupuncturist about placing the needles to release stress too

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

okay

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

Thanks for your responses...much better process than attempting to get

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

contact with the cardiologist !!

Doctor Cameron :

you are welcome !

JACUSTOMER-0uk8mr3f- :

Will do the acupun doctor and get a tai chai dvd......

Doctor Cameron :

:)

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor