Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can colloidal silver cure Chlamydia? I hear it's nature's

Customer Question
antibiotic and was used a...
Can colloidal silver cure Chlamydia? I hear it's nature's antibiotic and was used a lot in the past 100 years up until the late 1930's when the pharmaceutical industry took over.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
8/3/2011
Doctor: Ken, Postgraduate doctor replied 6 years ago
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Chlamydia infection is the most common sexually transmitted disease. The usual treatment for chlamydia is antibiotics, including tetracyclines, azithromycin, or erythromycin.
Colloidal silver is a suspension of tiny particles of silver within in a water base. Historically it was known for its anti bacterial properties. It should be noted that the FDA has not approved colloidal silver as being safe and effective for any conditions and silver is not an essential mineral.
To date, no human studies on colloidal silver have been reported. According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, animal studies have shown that silver can build up within the body's tissues. This can lead to deposition of silver at skin, nails, gums and deep tissues. This condition is not treatable or reversible. Buildup of silver within the body can also cause kidney damage, seizures and headache.
Wish you well. God bless

Really??? I read that even ancient Chinese civilizations used silver to treat sexually transmitted diseases hundreds of years ago.

I tested positive recently for Chlamydia. I was in shock from the diagnosis, but suspect my ex boyfriend (whom was my 1st partner and I dated him from 2006-2010) that I left last year as giving this to me.

I got mild symptoms after leaving him, but they went away. I didn't finally get tested until recently when I began exhibiting weird symptoms. I tested positive for Chlamydia but my current boyfriend tested negative.

I haven't taken antibiotics, and started taking colloidal silver and noticed that the symptoms I was experiencing have significantly subsided. So that is why I'm wondering if I'm being cured by the silver.

Yes you are right. Silver was used for sure BUT as of now there is no substantial research to prove it.
If I were you i would get a physical evaluation along with antibiotics to get rid of the infection.
Best

I honestly don't want to take prescription antibiotics unless I absolutely HAVE TO. I have a very healthy immune system and I rarely even get a cold. I have read taken antibiotics can lower my immune system and make me more prone to infections, such as yeast infections.

So I wanna try the silver 1st to see if that will eradicated the infection. And if I retest and the test comes back negative, can I assume the colloidal silver actually cured me?

I bought an at home Chlamydia test to take after I complete my silver regimen to see if the infection has been cured.

I do understand your concern.
You are right in one sense that antibiotics can lower your immune system. BUT this happens if you take them over long periods or repeatedly.
I know this may not be the answer you will like to get - I would get the antibiotics {sooner the better} to get rid of the infection. An untreated chlamydia infection may spread to the uterus or the fallopian tubes, causing salpingitis or pelvic inflammatory disease. These conditions can lead to infertility and increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy. I would not like to take a risk for these complications for sure.
God speed
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor

Well I'm going to try the silver first for the next week. If I take this at home Chlamydia test and it still comes back positive, I will just suck it up and get the antibiotics like you suggested.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to tell if you have pelvic inflammatory disease or the other one you called salpingitis? What symptoms do those 2 conditions present? Thank you.

pelvic inflammatory disease will present as pain or tenderness at the pelvis/ fever (not always present; may come and go)/ Vaginal discharge with abnormal color, texture, or smell/ Other symptoms that may occur are - Bleeding after intercourse, Chills, Fatigue, Frequent or painful urination, Increased menstrual cramping, Irregular menstrual bleeding or spotting, Lack of appetite, Nausea, with or without vomiting, No menstruation or painful sexual intercourse.
Best

Hmmm....I had a pap smear done with a pelvic exam. So I would think if I had PID, they would have seen it during the exam, right?

I do have frequent urination, but it's always after drinking a lot of liquids. And I'm a petite girl so I figured it's because I have a smaller bladder.

Is pelvic pain just below the belly button as I've read online or can it be actual pain in the vaginal bone? I have noticed a slight, very slight pain in the vaginal area. But it's right on the outer side of the vagina; labia majora and feel like it's the bone directly behind.

I haven't really had too many of the other symptoms you've named. My period did come almost a week early in June, but was back to normal in July.

And when you say "painful urination" what kind of pain? Is that any discomfort or does it have to be a burning sensation? I have read it's similar to a urinary tract infection, but I've never had a UTI so I don't really know what that feels like.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm only with my 2nd partner EVER and still trying to get over the fact that I contracted an STD from my ex of almost 4 years (which is proof he was cheating) and am having a hard time coping. However, I still want to be armed with the information necessary to take care of this infection and to be educated about the possible complications of it. Thank you.

Please do not feel sorry for the questions. it is natural for any one to have those and I am happy to help you.
Pelvic inflammation means inflammation at the various visceral organs of pelvis {uterus, ovaries, bladder}. The inflammation can vary in severity. Milder inflammation presents with milder forms of symptoms like pain. As the disease becomes severe the symptoms worsen. Painful urination means burning or pain during pee. It indicates inflammation at the bladder or urethra. Pelvic inflammation will present with pain at the pelvis, pain at the vagina may suggest mild infection at that region {may not indicate inflammation deep at the pelvis}.
Best

Okay. Thank you. It doesn't sound like I have PID. (I hope not, at least), but I was getting scared after you started naming the symptoms and thinking maybe the infection had advanced.

Please calm down.
Best
Hahaha. I'll try. Guess I'm a bit of a hyponchondriac at times, too. Thank you so much for your help!
Best
Ken
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor