Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been taking testosterone injections monthly and have

Customer Question
noticed that on the second...
I have been taking testosterone injections monthly and have noticed that on the second week after the injection I develope a sore on my penis in the same spot that lasts about 5 days What is That?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/16/2011
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 years ago
Can you describe the sore?
Always on left side of penis about 1 inch behind head starts out red and tender graudaully getting worse for three days then small what bilister under skin not surface. Becomes very tender lasts about 5 days until next injection then reappears second week after injection.
When did you start the injections, and when did this first appear? Has a doctor ever looked at it?
I started the injections 7 months ago for the first 3 months I took 200 ml then that didn't bring up my testosterone count enough so we when to 400 ml for three months that also left me at 83 which he said was low. so starting the seventh month July 5th we decided to try two 400 ml injections one every two weeks. When I first notice anything was on the 2nd or 3rd injection which was mild discomfort and left me wondering what it could be. Then it got worse and I went on the internet but only found one site which stated there could be side effect rashes and nothing more. I wasn't sure if there was a connection until the next shot. Also at this time I experienced a week of insomnia where I couldn't sleep but was left washed out in the morning that same site said that too could be a side effect. I mentioned these to the Dr. and he said that he wasn't given me enough to cause that problem and thought that both were related to something unknown. This was at the beginning of the 400 ml increase so I proceeded to pay more attention to when where and how long. That is when I noticed the problem came in the 2nd week lasted about 5 days. Note the insomnia went away and had never came back don't know on that one.
Well, this is most likely a recurrent case of balanitis--a yeast infection. It can be treated with over the counter Lamisil or prescription ketoconazole cream. I can't be sure about it's relation to the injections--there may be no connection. That said, you need to have your doctor see it at least once for a diagnosis. A blister, when involved, could indicate herpes, but this doesn't sound typical for that.
I am pleased with so far but your answer leaves me wondering I have noticed a burning urine sensation during two of the episodes. My Doctor is out of town now for 2weeks and I was out of town my self when I came down with what I thought was a kidney or urinary infection which gave e a temptuture 102 left me very weak I went to a out of town clinic about closing time told them I thought I had a Kidney infection and they had me pee in a cup the Dr gave me a priscription for Cipro which I am on slowing recovering could it be this is a yeast infection all of it?
Not the other problem that you've just now related to me. Unless this were herpes which could potentially cause burning with urination. This sounds more like a prostatitis--prostate infection--and that would be from a standard bacteria like E. coli and not yeast.
Is Prostatitis every connected to Testosterone injections?
Not the infection, no, but there could be an increase in size as with benign prostatic hypertrophy.
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor