911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have diarrhea every day, if not multiple times a day. It

I have diarrhea every day, if not multiple times a day. It seems like my food just goes right through me. I end up running to the bathroom about 30-45 minutes after I eat. I especially notice it after I eat anything containing wheat, especially whole grains, raw vegetables and anything fried or oily. Everything that is supposed to be healthy for you, makes me very sick! I also get intense stomach pain and cramping, gas and nausea associated with the diarrhea. Sometimes the diarrhea comes so suddenly and violently that I can't make it to the bathroom on time. Sometimes I stand up after having some intense stomach pain and liquid diarrhea just pours out. I can't stop it and have no control over my bowels until it's all out. I've gone to a couple of doctors and they just dismiss me with out any kind of exam or test because I'm only 27. They say I'm too young to have these kinds of problems and that all their patients are quite advanced in age. Please help! I'm becoming so weak, I can barely carry and play with my toddler!
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 6 years ago.
911DOC :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911DOC :

You need to see a gastroenterologist outside of your town.

911DOC :

you may have a variety of conditions that will require his expertise to diagnose...

911DOC :

and i'll tell you up front i am not going to be able to diagnose you online... you need testing....

911DOC :

in particular, you need stool studies first to look for any sign of parasitic infection or bacterial infection.

911DOC :

secondly, you will probably need a colonoscopy to actually look at the inside of your intestines and perhaps an endoscopy down the esophagus to look at your stomach....

911DOC :

you might even have sprue, which is hard to diagnose.... but would suggest to you that it is more likely you have inflammatory bowel disease or a parasitic infection.....

Customer:

I've had these symptoms for many years, I've just lived with them, but now it's affecting my abilty to care for my child

Customer:

Do you think that celiac disease is a possibility?

911DOC :

here is a link about SPRUE

911DOC :

yes, most definitely, you seem to have the symptoms....

911DOC :

it's time to take them seriously and get answers now that you are a mom.

Customer:

ok. what are the typical treatments for those diseases?

Customer:

And is it possible to still have it even though the blood test in inconclusive?

911DOC :

inflammatory bowel disease treatment is with medicine first and surgery as a last resort to remove the diseased part of the colon...

911DOC :

IBDzz is broken down into ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease and you can read about them here...

911DOC :

LINK

911DOC :

AND

911DOC :

HERE

911DOC :

LINK

911DOC :

The tretment for Celiac Sprue is HERE which gives me reason to doubt if this is the problem because you have done a pretty good job of cutting this stuff out of your diet.

911DOC :

standing by.

Customer:

Well, sometimes I just crave some bread or pastries or give up and eat what the rest of the family eats out of conveinience. But I definately notice a difference when I am doing a good job of trying to eliminate it.

Customer:

My son is allergic to whole grain wheat, along with a dozen other things, what is the difference between that and celiac?

Customer:

The reason I feel celiac may fit is because I also have Rhumatoid Arthritis and I've heard that untreated celiac can cause R.A. and that auto immune dieseases often run in packs

911DOC :

ok

911DOC :

that is true....

911DOC :

so can you get to a GI guy?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

yeah there are some in a neighboring town

911DOC :

can you get an appointment?

911DOC :

or do you need a referral?

911DOC :

and do you need a way to find a good one near you?

Customer:

Yeah, I would like help finding one that's good and will actually listen to the patient without being condecending and dismissive.

911DOC :

okay, give me the city or town in which you hope to find the GI doc that will help you.

Customer:

Amarillo, Tx

911DOC :

okay... got some good doctor friends there.... but not in GI.... love the cadillac ranch and the big texan.

911DOC :

wait one.

Customer:

Yeah those are great!

911DOC :

okay, in the following link you will be directed to a page that lists GI docs in or near Amarillo....

911DOC :

they are rated by their patients and the contact info is all there...

911DOC :

this is a very helpful service and is free up to a point....

911DOC :

you should be able to get a good idea from the following link...

911DOC :

LINK

911DOC :

does the link work?

Customer:

Awesome! Thank you so much!

911DOC :

so it does work...

911DOC :

good...

911DOC :

do you have any other questions regarding the above?

Customer:

Not at the moment. Thank you

911DOC :

in that case if you click accept we can conclude and JA will pay me and i will be very happy!

911DOC :

it has been a pleasure to speak with you.

911DOC :

and i wish you the best of luck getting answers.

Customer:

Thanks I will.