Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have hemorrhoidal bleeding. Should I go to a hospital, or

I have hemorrhoidal bleeding. Should I go to a hospital, or just see how it goes for a few days?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you having blood on the toilet paper?
Mixed in with your bowel movements?
How heavy is the bleeding? (clots?)
Have you been treating the hemorrhoids with anything?
Do you have any dizziness? Shortness of breath?

dr abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
blood on toilet paper. Noticed after bowel movement, stool was normal. I have had a hemorrhoid for a few days. The blood seems like a lot. There was some dark patches, but the blood was very bright red. No dizziness or shortness of breath.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

I know it can be worrisome when you see bleeding from a hemorrhoid.
In the majority of cases it does not require an emergency room visit. The bleeding can be treated at home unless you are passing bloody stools or large clots (in this case it is not a hemorrhoid) or if you feel short of breath/dizzy. If you are in extreme pain, then I would also go to the ER. This can be a sign of a thrombosed hemorrhoid that can be treated in the ER. (a small clot forms in the hemorrhoid--it can be removed in the ER for pretty immediate relief)

What I recommend is to apply ice to the area--this helps to constrict the blood vessels and may lessen the bleeding.
Make sure you are getting plenty of fiber and, if you are constipated, add a stool softener.

You can use over the counter hemorrhoid creams if the hemorrhoid is on the outside or a suppository if it is on the inside and protrudes out (and goes back in).

If these do not help, follow up with your regular doctor. It can take several days for a hemorrhoid to go away.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!