Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

It appears that I have ulcers on my uvula and it feels like

Customer Question
It appears that I have...
It appears that I have white ulcers on my uvula and it feels like they are also in my esophagus. I do not have a fever, but it is uncomfortable and I am also experiencing dysphagia... how do I differentiate between bacterial and viral and if bacterial what would be the best Rx for it.. thx
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
7/3/2011
Doctor: Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD

Do you have any chronic health problems?
Do you take any medications or asthma inhalers?

dr abby
no... but it does not look like esophageal candidiasis... it looks more like mini amphtous ulcers.... I did oddly have to force myself to vomit earlier this week..long story.. but it is not a common practice... maybe I had bacteria on my fingers...?
Thank you for clarifying,

I am sorry you are experiencing these symptoms. I know that it can be quite painful.

If this has the appearance of small aphthous ulcers then it is most likely viral.

If you had a bacterial throat infection, I would expect you to have a fever.

Typically, bacterial throat infections do not cause ulcer-like infections either.

If it happened to be bacterial, the best RX for it would be simple penicillin or amoxicillin.

But, I would not treat it with antibiotics at this time.
Try warm salt water gargles, numbing throat sprays, use ibuprofen for pain and, if this is not helping you at all, you should go to an urgent care for further treatment.

There are prescription numbing gargles that can help with the pain.

This should improve in the next couple of days.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
thank you Dr. Abby.... It would be great to be able to send a photo of my throat for a more accurate DX but it is good to know that bacterial throat infections typically do not present with ulcers... I do have swollen glands (submental/mandibular) and the ulcers are just on my uvula... do you think i could have given myself from my finger tips... I suppose it is possible ... I am a chiropractor and work on Sundays... so I am just concerned if I would be "contagious" ie if Strep...
It is possible that you did pass this through your fingers.

Again, it is more likely viral--which is also contagious.

These types of viruses are typically spread through saliva/fecal oral route and respiratory droplets (sneezing, coughing)
Washing the hands, covering your mouth will help to prevent the spread.

You may wish to stay home today, especially if you are not feeling well.

You are most contagious for the first week of the ulcers.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Since my last question (ulcers on uvula) I am now having pain with swallowing.. Like theres a piece of dry bread stuck at my episternal notch.. I am able to swallow it's just painful... Should I go to ER.. I am also very tired..
I am sorry things are getting worse.

If your pain has increased, the ER would be able to give you something to help with the pain (such as a lidocaine swish and swallow).

They may be able to visualize a bit farther down behind the uvula to see what is going on..however you may need to be referred to a specialist tomorrow for further evaluation.

Since you can swallow and breathe okay, it is not a true emergency. But, if you are in severe pain, you would benefit from evaluation so that you can get relief.

I hope you feel better. Again, I am sorry you are still suffering.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD