M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

My tonsils have been swollen for over two weeks, along with

Customer Question

My tonsils have been swollen for over two weeks, along with that I had conjunctivitis. My doc gave me vigomax for the eyes and amoxicillin tabs for the sore throat. The vigomox worked but the sore throat persisted and at times got worse. I began taking ibuprofen to decrease the sweetie.g and it helped relieve some of the pain. I got stabbed for step and it was negative. What could possibly be causing the swelling? They gave me prednisone and my toils feel better but I still cough.
Submitted: 6 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 6 years ago.

M Javid, MD :

M Javid, MD :

Tonsils are composed of lymphoid tissue and can get swollen as a result of infections

M Javid, MD :

If the swelling was produced by a bacterial infection such as Strep, amoxycillin would help.

M Javid, MD :

If it were produced by a virus, it would not, so this may be the reason

JACUSTOMER-a3pizhd2- : But for two weeks? Could allergies cause this?
M Javid, MD :

Do you have any other symptoms like rash, sneezing, nasal discharge?

JACUSTOMER-a3pizhd2- : Slight nasal discharge, a lot of coughing. But discharge was on and off if only slight
M Javid, MD :

Allergies can cause throat symptoms, such as throat discomfort, and would respond to use of an anti-allergic like a anti-histamine

M Javid, MD :

Viruses can produce symptoms like cough lasting for weeks

JACUSTOMER-a3pizhd2- : What can I do if it is a virus?et it ride out?
M Javid, MD :

Its not uncommon to have such symptoms for weeks after recovery from influenza for example

M Javid, MD :

For the cough a short course of beta 2 agonist inhalers like proventil may help

M Javid, MD :

Steam inhalation to soothe the lungs

JACUSTOMER-a3pizhd2- : Prednisone helped decrease the swelling and the coughing. I'm just afraid that when my ten days are throuh I will go back to miserable throat ache. Is there anything you can suggest for the sore throat? My tonsils get very inflammed
M Javid, MD :

And a cough suppressant (OTC type) may help

M Javid, MD :

Let me see if I can find you some more info on this

JACUSTOMER-a3pizhd2- : For the past two weeks I've been living on cepachol, is there some sort of underlying issue that i need to explore?
M Javid, MD :

OK here is a list of lifestyle and home remedies from Mayo, that you can try out when you have sore throat:

M Javid, MD :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sore-throat/DS00526/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

M Javid, MD :

You also need to understand that if its Strep throat, you will need antibiotics

M Javid, MD :

And a throat swab helps in the diagnosis, since an examination by a doctor may not be able to differentiate a Strep throat from a viral infection

M Javid, MD :

If this is all, please click "Accept" to end this session, or if you require more information please post, and I will be glad to answer.

JACUSTOMER-a3pizhd2- : It's not strep. Is it possible
M Javid, MD :

Most cases of sore throat are due to viruses rather than Strep, if this is what you are asking

M Javid, MD :

The same type of viruses that cause the common cold and 'flu.