Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My tonsils have been swollen for over two weeks, along with

Customer Question
that I had conjunctivitis....
My tonsils have been swollen for over two weeks, along with that I had conjunctivitis. My doc gave me vigomax for the eyes and amoxicillin tabs for the sore throat. The vigomox worked but the sore throat persisted and at times got worse. I began taking ibuprofen to decrease the sweetie.g and it helped relieve some of the pain. I got stabbed for step and it was negative. What could possibly be causing the swelling? They gave me prednisone and my toils feel better but I still cough.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2011
Doctor: M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician replied 6 years ago
M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
M Javid, MD :

M Javid, MD :

Tonsils are composed of lymphoid tissue and can get swollen as a result of infections

M Javid, MD :

If the swelling was produced by a bacterial infection such as Strep, amoxycillin would help.

M Javid, MD :

If it were produced by a virus, it would not, so this may be the reason

Customer: But for two weeks? Could allergies cause this?
M Javid, MD :

Do you have any other symptoms like rash, sneezing, nasal discharge?

Customer: Slight nasal discharge, a lot of coughing. But discharge was on and off if only slight
M Javid, MD :

Allergies can cause throat symptoms, such as throat discomfort, and would respond to use of an anti-allergic like a anti-histamine

M Javid, MD :

Viruses can produce symptoms like cough lasting for weeks

Customer: What can I do if it is a virus?et it ride out?
M Javid, MD :

Its not uncommon to have such symptoms for weeks after recovery from influenza for example

M Javid, MD :

For the cough a short course of beta 2 agonist inhalers like proventil may help

M Javid, MD :

Steam inhalation to soothe the lungs

Customer: Prednisone helped decrease the swelling and the coughing. I'm just afraid that when my ten days are throuh I will go back to miserable throat ache. Is there anything you can suggest for the sore throat? My tonsils get very inflammed
M Javid, MD :

And a cough suppressant (OTC type) may help

M Javid, MD :

Let me see if I can find you some more info on this

Customer: For the past two weeks I've been living on cepachol, is there some sort of underlying issue that i need to explore?
M Javid, MD :

OK here is a list of lifestyle and home remedies from Mayo, that you can try out when you have sore throat:

M Javid, MD :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sore-throat/DS00526/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

M Javid, MD :

You also need to understand that if its Strep throat, you will need antibiotics

M Javid, MD :

And a throat swab helps in the diagnosis, since an examination by a doctor may not be able to differentiate a Strep throat from a viral infection

M Javid, MD :

If this is all, please click "Accept" to end this session, or if you require more information please post, and I will be glad to answer.

Customer: It's not strep. Is it possible
M Javid, MD :

Most cases of sore throat are due to viruses rather than Strep, if this is what you are asking

M Javid, MD :

The same type of viruses that cause the common cold and 'flu.

M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician