Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

What is the best antibiotic to prescribe for an adult ear

What is the best antibiotic to prescribe for an
adult ear infection? (middle ear) My doctor prescribed Augmentin and it's tearing up my stomach.

Hello. My goal is to help you find an answer! Augmentin is a really good choice. It might be overkill though. You could probably get away with just the amoxicillin component of it instead.

Other options would be azithromycin or a cephalosporin like ceftriaxone.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a particular strength of amoxicillin I should take?
500mg three times a day
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Any complications because I'm a diabetic?

When should I expect to feel markedly better from the amoxicillin?

No problems with diabetes. However, you doc better be sure its an inner ear infection and not outer. Diabetes are prone to otitis externa and it requires different antibiotics. You should already be feeling better from the augmentin. Are you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have had inner ear infections in the past. I recognize the pressure behind my eardrums. I have no pain, just a headache from the pressure. It started with a slight cold last Sunday. I am pretty sure this an inner ear infection. In the past an ENT pierced my eardrums to let the fluid out. I don't want that to happen again! I am feeling better after 6 doses but have a long way to go.

The amoxicillin should continue it. I would treat for 10-14 days total.