How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Su S Your Own Question
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 20952
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Su S is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have severe hip pain mainly at night it wakes me up I can

Resolved Question:

I have severe hip pain mainly at night it wakes me up I can only sleep on my back
Many thanks in advance
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 6 years ago.

How long the symptoms are there? How often does it happen? Does the pain radiate any where? Is it on one side? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Are you on any medication? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
6/8 months ago getting worse occours every night and now feel in the day especially if I have been sitting to long just my right side, had an XRAY they said no problem except showing little white spots
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

There can be a few probables here. These can be due to arthritis, tear of an ligament/cartilage, or trochanteric bursitis etc. Often pain worses at night. Avoid lying on that side. Putting soft pillow over there can reduce pressure on it. Icing or application of heat can be helpful in severe pain. For pain relief both cold and hot can be used. You can try either to see the effect. Among otc antiinflammatory analgesics there can be ibuprofen (motrin, advil), naproxen (available as aleve) etc. Continue the pain medicine. When X ray did not find any significant change, you need to consult an orthopedic doctor for an examination. You can need imaging studies like MRI & other tests for it.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Dr Su S and 8 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you